Who is running MSD 6/AL with MSD Billet Distributor? Do you like it?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
After a lot of research, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a complete MSD 6-AL system to include their Billet, mechanical advance only distributor. I want comments from people who are running the 6-AL and/or their billet distributor. I have heard some bad things about the 6-AL, but mostly good.
I have a moderately modified 340 (approx 375 HP), 4 speed, headers , 3.55 sure grip. It currently has a 20 year old Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition (orange box) ignition has conversion. The vacuum advance has been disconnected almost from the beginning. I called Mopar Performance when I was having problems with the vacuum advance, and they said just disconnect it.

I'm going to say some things I thought I'd never say.

1. You can buy the box. I've always preferred that Mallory stuff myself. You can't get that any more. Unless it's the new crap made by MSD. I'll pass on that. And I buy up any old Mallory stuff I can. And I rarely sell any of it. If you are careful, you can find the stuff at swap meets. Bought a whole analog HyFire 7 with matching coil for 85 bucks. Slapped it on and it fired right up and is still going.

2. Nothing wrong with that distributor. I can't see spending any money on another unit.

3. This hurts me more than anything but here goes...if it's a street car keep the VA. I never thought I'd ever say that in a bajillion years but if you do it correctly the VA will make the car much more driveable. You may have to use full manifold vacuum rather than timed.

As sick as it makes me to say, I'm seriously considering switching my junk over to a distributor over to a VA model. I never thought I'd say that. Until I get my distributor machine up and running, and test the complete system I won't know for sure if I can make the engine happy without a VA and still get the timing where it needs to be.

I just hate to see you waste money on a distributor. I've never been fond of the Chrysler boxes. In fact, I detest them. I have actually tested them on a dyno and they are about the worst performing ignition boxes there are, although I've seen a few MSD boxes that were pretty sad sack too.

That's the combo I'm using brand new Billet dist but the 6AL and 2-step is pretty old and works great with my 340 stroker.

I got that msd setup in 96 and have been running it since ,actually I have that setup in 2 cars since 2002 ,no problems ever with either of them well maybe one the msd dist have ozone trouble and will have some corrosion under the cap and rust the advance springs off .

I got that msd setup in 96 and have been running it since ,actually I have that setup in 2 cars since 2002 ,no problems ever with either of them well maybe one the msd dist have ozone trouble and will have some corrosion under the cap and rust the advance springs off .
This is the problem I have with their distributor. Has anyone come up with a fix?

I would try the GM HEI conversion first......once you eliminate the Mopar ICM and ballast resistor (poor spark and unreliable...IMHO), the better spark from the GM HEI module is instantly recognizable once you fire it up....it will run a lot "cripser"
I did the conversion on my Duster 340 and the "crispness" and more reliable consistent spark is like night and day.

This is what I ran:
-Stock VA distributor
-Upgraded to better coil Blaster 2 (Recommended to upgrade the coil to a better one)
-AC Delco stock HEI module (You can get better modules, but I tried and was happy with the Delco)
-Mounted the HEI module to a heat sink & mounted where old ICM was (The modules create a lot of heat, so you need to dissipate that heat)
-Rewire everything to GM HEI Module (Very little rewiring)

You will find a lot of threads already here on GM HEI Module conversion, if you search them out.

You can buy a mount for under dist. as well, if you desire Mopar HEI Conversion

gmheiconversion.jpg

I run MSD everything on two of my vehicles. Yes, rust was a problem. I drilled holes in my caps and don't have as much trouble. There are write-ups on doing this that I followed. The down side is that you open your self up for water issues. But I don't drive in the rain and I don't wash the car like we used to.

My next step was going to be trying a clear coated reluctor, but it never came to that.

I've been running that distributor and a pre-digital 6AL box for over ten years and it has worked flawlessly. I started to get the rust and took to a quick spray with CRC56 once a year and that seemed to tame it. I do wish they made that distributor with vacuum advance. It would mean more advance when cruising and when not under load and that would translate to better gas mileage and a more complete burn with engine longevity value.

I've been running that distributor and a pre-digital 6AL box for over ten years and it has worked flawlessly. I started to get the rust and took to a quick spray with CRC56 once a year and that seemed to tame it. I do wish they made that distributor with vacuum advance. It would mean more advance when cruising and when not under load and that would translate to better gas mileage and a more complete burn with engine longevity value.

I have run MSD 6 stuff for decades , never had a problem w/ but one , it was bought used and I killed it , MSD fixed it and sent it back to me for $19.00 something. Have one on my440/505 right now , with a chevy dist. -----"fast 2.0 f.inj. systems use chevy adatations."
Was a ***** getting head clearance w/ raised port victor type heads.

-
Back