who is using an electric fan on street driven car?

-

jeh

Reaction score
can you tell me what other high draw accessories you are using, and what size your alt is?

thanks!

-j

I am and only also have MSD ignition, I run a 140 amp unit the new style 1 wire polished unit from I think powermaster..

I put an electric fan on a couple years ago. I also have a basic stereo system (no amplifier or anything like that), Mopar electronic ignition, um... headlights... not much else!

I'm still running the stock alternator. 65 amps, I think? When the fan comes on my alt gauge sure does react, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I'm running 2 electric fans on my Summit aluminum radiator that I got at a swap meet for just $20! I can choose to run one or both by the switch in the ARC control panel in the dash. I run a 160 degree thermostat. On a hot day here in Florida, it never runs over 180. I use a 100 amp alternator and two mounted regulators; one standard and the other is constant 14-volt for high demand situations. I use twin optima batteries.
Pat

I'm running a Be-Cool electric fan, there most powerful, on a mild 318 auto with a 3.21 suregrip.
Other acc. include a stero with a 100 X 2 amp. The Alt. is a stock 1979 that has more power than the earlier units. No issue with lights dimming and this is also with the windsheild wipers and lights on at night. Though there is a most mild dimming at idle, AKA stop light, but not a negitive reading on the amp gauge.

Perma-Cool fan through a relay,200 watt amp,Msd digital and Holley HP125 electric fuel pump w/relay through the stock alternator.The amperage on the alternators can vary alot from one to another,i had the parts store check the amperage when i bought it to get the highest one they had.The same part #
can vary up to 15 amps from what we found.If buying the fan new(Jegs,Summit)find the highest cfm,lowest amp draw,this makes a big difference as i was running a Tornando type before the one i have and pulled 2 and a half times the amperage with less cfm.

Thanks for all the replies... might give this a go after all.. hopefully the stock alt holds up :)

-j

I'm useing a stock '79 Alt in the Duster.

-
Back