Who knows Dodge Ram auto.Transmissions?

-
Ok fellas here's what i found it is the 46RE trans.,it is the front clutch seal that's bad.
And it's getting worse it will barely shift at all now and i pulled the pan back down today and there are more filings in the pan than normal so thinking it's slowly taking the clutches out of it!
So here are my options,rebuild it,buy and already rebuilt one with a 12 month 12K warranty or buy a remanufactured trans. with a 3year 100K mile warranty.

Ok fellas here's what i found it is the 46RE trans.,it is the front clutch seal that's bad.
And it's getting worse it will barely shift at all now and i pulled the pan back down today and there are more filings in the pan than normal so thinking it's slowly taking the clutches out of it!
So here are my options,rebuild it,buy and already rebuilt one with a 12 month 12K warranty or buy a remanufactured trans. with a 3year 100K mile warranty.

Yep, that is just one of main problems of the 46RE is the front clutch seal. Damn 46RE transmissions! I'm just sitting and waiting for mine to start acting up. I change the fluid and filter every 15K miles just trying to keep it going as long as it will go. I tighten the clutch bands to specs while I change the fluid also. It's got over 45K and I'm knocking on wood. LOL!

On the options deal....just remember that these transmission usually don't make it to 100K. If you go to DodgeTalk.com and do some searching you will realize quickly how much hatred there is for the 46RE.

You will be giving up the overdrive going to a 727, but I assume that isn't an issue.
yeah I guess it all depends really the 46RE in my dad's 96 ram was trouble free from when he got it(100,000kms) to about 2000kms ago(it's got 278,000kms now) over about 5 years.

I went to a "good" tranny shop that builds drag race transmissions mostly I guess that shows me not to assume. Mine was rebuild last year and I've barely put 2000 kms on the truck since because they can't seem to get it right

Since i simply can't afford to buy a new trans. like i would like to i'm gonna buy a rebuild kit and a new torque-converter and rebuild it myself.

I have 270,000k on mine. I recently had the torque converter go and I replaced it. While I was at it I adjusted the bands and checked the rest of the tranny out and everything looked good, so I just put it back together. It's working fine for now.

Jack

My trans. saga continues,i worked on it for a while today i have it almost ready to come out just need to wait until tomorrow when i can get a little help to pull it out.
I forgotten how much i hate working on trans.,for the couple of you that have met me in person you know that i am not built for working under cars/trucks!

With some luck ok alot of luck i'll have it out tomorrow morning then i can tear it down to rebuild it,i was hoping to have it together and running by tomorrow night but i really don't think that will happen hell with my luck i'll probably stil be working on it this time next Sat.!

My trans. saga continues,i worked on it for a while today i have it almost ready to come out just need to wait until tomorrow when i can get a little help to pull it out.
I forgotten how much i hate working on trans.,for the couple of you that have met me in person you know that i am not built for working under cars/trucks!

With some luck ok alot of luck i'll have it out tomorrow morning then i can tear it down to rebuild it,i was hoping to have it together and running by tomorrow night but i really don't think that will happen hell with my luck i'll probably stil be working on it this time next Sat.!

I have been there and done that. A friend and I pulled his trans out of a 70 Duster and he rebuilt it and I went back and helped him put it back in. He didn't do something right even though his dad was there to help him. They said they went by the book but it didn't work out to good. I think we was about 17 at the time.

Take your time and double check everything LOL!

My 98 Dakota just started doing pretty much the same thing. Shifts late from 1st to 2nd especially when cold. Usually if I let off the gas it will shift.

I don't know how much you've read on them but the biggest thing with the od. is the 1:1 clutchs if you replace them you'll need a press as the 1:1s are under 600Lbs of spring pressure. More then likely you could get away with just replacing the od. clutches and calling it good. other than that its a simple trans to rebuild.

Got it out and all rebuilt but i ran into one problem can't get the parking rod to go into place it's close but it's holding just enough pressure that i can't get the valve body to drop into place. I tryed turning the shaft but that didn't make any difference, any ideas or solutions of how i can get it back in place? This is all that's left to do then i can put it back in!

The parking rod is held by a e-clip right?

Will the parking rod go into the manual lever? Is that what you are talking about?

I got the problem with the parking rod fixed just took a little cursing at it to get it to co-operate!
Everything is now bolted back in the truck just a few things left to do and then fill the trans.
So i guess tomorrow is D-day everyone please say a small prayer for me that this (CENSORED) trans. works because if it don't after all of this i'm gonna cry like a little girl!

I got the problem with the parking rod fixed just took a little cursing at it to get it to co-operate!
Everything is now bolted back in the truck just a few things left to do and then fill the trans.
So i guess tomorrow is D-day everyone please say a small prayer for me that this (CENSORED) trans. works because if it don't after all of this i'm gonna cry like a little girl!

Well??

Sorry for the delay yes it works finally!:toothy10:
So far so good shifts nice and no leaks so far,drove it about 40 miles today and is still working good.
Thanks to everybody who offered their help!:-D

That is great to hear!

If mine kicks the bucket you might be getting a bunch of PMs! LOL!

That's great Kev! It is a pain to take those suckers out but it sounds like you saved a fair chunk of change doing it yourself.

Jack

That's great Kev! It is a pain to take those suckers out but it sounds like you saved a fair chunk of change doing it yourself.

Jack

Yea i saved myself about a $1000 doing it myself.
It was a pain in the *** to get out but was easier going back in so that was good.

so if i i may ask,,,,what kit did you use ?? have you ever done an auto rebuild before?? any special tools needed??? how long did it take ??

glad to hear its working well,,,,

so if i i may ask,,,,what kit did you use ?? have you ever done an auto rebuild before?? any special tools needed??? how long did it take ??

glad to hear its working well,,,,

I don't remember what the name was i got it from a local trans. shop.
My brother rebuilt quite a few 727's and i helped so i had him give me a hand rebuilding mine,from tear down to all the cleaning and rebuilding took me about 6 hours.
No i don't have any special trans. tools i just use what i have.

kool i hope its reliable,, sure beat paying a trans shop or dealership wayy to much,,ive never dont auto work,, on stick boxes,,,,nice job,,man

-
Back