Who Remembers "77 Sunset Strip" TV Show From The '60s ???

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, today is Edd "Kookie" Byrnes' birthday.
Are you ready for this? Kookie's 80 years old today!
I wonder if he still drives his T-bucket to work?

View attachment kookie.jpg

The roadster was the famed Norm Grabowski-built T-bucket from 1958. And although it's a '22 Model T with a Caddy engine and 4 Stromberg 97s, it does have a Mopar connection: the paint is 1956 Dodge Royal Lancer Blue.
Need some more big names from vintage hot rodding? The red interior was stitched by Tony Nancy and the paint, flames and pinstriping were done by Dean Jeffries.
Oh yeah, it was rented out to Warner Bros. studio for $50/day - big money when the show was originally aired on TV from 1958-64. And the car wasn't seen on every episode.

A little Edd Byrnes trivia: He was hired by Merv Griffin in 1975 to be the original host of "Wheel of Fortune". He was the host on the first two half-hour pilots. NBC bought the show but didn't want him as the host so Griffin replaced him with Chuck Woolery. Who knows, we might have had Edd and Vanna.

I remember when there were actually white people in L.A.!! Like on old Dragnet reruns......how 'bout THAT! LOL

Count me in as another old fart that remembers it from my older brother and sisters watching it.

-
Back