Who Remembers Roy Rogers and Dale Evans???

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Took a leisurely drive from Orange County to Las Vegas yesterday just for the day and took old Route 66 out of Victorville to Barstow. Nice drive on 2-lane road away from the freeway. Takes a little longer but you get to see what it was like to drive to Las Vegas when I was a kid.
The road goes right past Roy Rogers and Dale Evans old "Double R Bar" ranch. It's now a working horse boarding and training facility. Thought some of you "veterans" might enjoy some pics

RoyRogers041710001_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710002_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710003_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710009_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710010_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710011_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710012_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710013_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710014_edited (Small).JPG

RoyRogers041710015_edited (Small).JPG

thats cool, thanks for sharing.
roy, his wife and of course his horse trigger were staples on our black and white t.v. for years.

I got to shoot trap with Roy Rogers at a political rally up in Victorville quite a few years ago. I'll tell you what, that guy was the real deal. He didn't miss many targets, I think he shot 23 out of 25. Friendly as can be, I got to spend the whole afternoon with him. Good man gone.

I'm in Berdoo, next door to where Leeana used to live. If you went up the 215, you were pretty close. I'm off the 210 (cross town freeway) just a couple of exits from Running Springs/Big Bear turn-off.

My son was in Vegas this weekend too, wrenching for Densham. Did you go to Vegas for the drags?

Russ.

Cool! It's been awhile since I've seen that Ken ... thanks for bringing back some memories. For a couple years I used to work for a law firm a couple blocks away from the Roy Rogers Museum (where taxidermied Trigger now resides) in downtown Victorville. He and Dale used to eat breakfast every morning at a local restaurant where I'd stop for a cinnamon roll once in awhile and were always great!

Hiya Russ!!! <waving frantically to the west> You and Ken need to get together some time ... you'd get along famously.

Thanks for sharing these great pics!

Thanks for the memories. Wait, that's Bob Hope - lol

I met Roy Rogers as a kid. After his TV show, he and the whole crew (including Dale, Pat, Trigger and Bullet) traveled around doing public appearances, I guess. They came to do a show at the theater in our little town. Got a handshake and an autographed picture from him (long gone), and I had a RR lunch box for a couple of years (also long gone).

Met the Lone Ranger that way too. What a couple of great guys!

BTW, what ever happened to westerns on TV? Anyone else miss them? I dont mean the old ones. I mean that they dont make any new ones.

... BTW, what ever happened to westerns on TV? Anyone else miss them? I dont mean the old ones. I mean that they dont make any new ones.

Probably because there's too much concrete, urban sprawl and power lines now ... kind of spoils the effect.

Lee, Do you remember David, from Memphis? He was with me when I shot trap with RR. I can't remember if he was still here when you moved next door. He had a '66 Charger. Anyway, he move back home not too far from you, somewhere close to Memphis. He works for Fed-Ex.

I don't get out much to do traveling, but if Ken rambles around this way again maybe we could hook up.

Miss you girl, but you're only a few keystrokes away.

Russ.

Thanks Ken

Do I remember!

Roy and Dale were my favorites!

Along with Pat Brady and Nellybelle

Can't forget Trigger, Bullet and Buttermilk

Here's one of their comics I have

RoyRogers_Medium_.jpg

RoyRogers03_Medium_.jpg

RoyRogers02_Medium_.jpg

Thank you for sharing some pictures of the ranch
Was his German shepherd named Bullet DRENO ?
I remember them and watching them sing :happy10:

Happy trails to them all. We sure had it good growing up back then. We seamed to enjoy life without all the stuff kids just got to have now days. Thanks for sharing with us.

Yep, I remember him......now you guys are making me feel old again.

Thanks for the memories!

My son was in Vegas this weekend too, wrenching for Densham. Did you go to Vegas for the drags?

Hi Russ -
No, not for the drags unfortunately. My weekly bowling league goes to Vegas for the sweepstakes bowling twice a year. This weekend was the first time it's coincided with the NHRA drags, but it was also the same weekend as 'Spring Fling' in Van Nuys.
We drove to Vegas in the morning, bowled early afternoon, went out to dinner with rest of my team, then drove home so we could go to 'Spring Fling' on Sunday. Got home from Vegas about 1:30AM, then back up at 6:00AM to go to 'Spring Fling' to pass out show flyers for our clubs (Inland Mopars) upcoming All-Mopar car show scheduled for June 13th (I'm the car show chairman and my responsibility to get the show flyers out).
Would you believe their was someone at 'Spring Fling' passing out show flyers for an All-Chevy show? Saw a lot of those flyers sitting in front seats, but I bet just about all of them ended up lining the trash cans at Woodley Park.

For a couple years I used to work for a law firm a couple blocks away from the Roy Rogers Museum (where taxidermied Trigger now resides) in downtown Victorville.

Leanna -
The whole museum, complete with Trigger, was moved to Branson, MO, some years ago. The only things remaining in Victorville are the street name signs for Roy Rogers Drive and Dale Evans Parkway.
The museum is closer to you now but I just read online this morning that it was closed on Dec. 12, 2009, due to several years of falling attendance and losing money. According to the website (www.royrogers.com) the museum contents are going to be auctioned off in three auctions:
April 30 in Springfield, MO (including a 1923 Dodge)
June 26 in Denver, CO
July 14 & 15, Christie's Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY

Sad announcement as it's another passing of an American Icon, their history, and their message about life. As Dusty Rogers said on the Roy Rogers website: I leave you all with Dad's favorite saying- "Good bye, Good luck, and may the good Lord take a likin' to ya!"

Happy trails to you Roy and Dale for an eternitiy.
What a shame about the museum.

My name is Roy Evans...so I would always get some little Roy Rogers and Dale Evans joke when I would meet someone. During 3rd grade we had a sub and she was doing roll call and when she got to my name she kinda laughed to herself and asked if any one ever made fun of my name. That kind of question will screw a kid up for a few years. And to top it off I am from Springfield, Missouri..about 30 miles from Branson. I now go by my middle name Edward...Edward Evans sounds so much better then Roy Evans.

Sorry..I had to vent a little.

Really sad about the museum. Older generation passing on, and the younger generation doesnt know who they were. I used to see their TV show every onece in a while, but havent seen it in at least 10 years. Probably wrapped up in some battle of greed somewhere, while their memories fade away. Like the Lone Ranger, who was not allowed to wear his mask in later years. How ironic that any kid can buy a LR mask in a dollar store and wear it all he wants, but the man who made it famous, was forbidden to do so.

During 3rd grade we had a sub and she was doing roll call and when she got to my name she kinda laughed to herself and asked if any one ever made fun of my name.

Caddguy, that's because the substitute teachers name was probably Dale Rogers!

I had been to the museum quite a few times. Every time I'm in the Victorville area I miss seeing the museum just off the freeway. It's quite a loss to the community.

Roy and Dale were great people!

Caddguy, that's because the substitute teachers name was probably Dale Rogers!

LOL...now that you bring it up...:-k

That was 30 years ago...now if a teacher did that the school and the teacher would be sued for every thing they have.

-
Back