Who would be interested in buying a 5.7 Hemi A Body car?

-

robertnb64

Pres. SouthBay Mopars
Reaction score
We have currently installed a 5.7 Hemi from a 2003 Ram into my 69 Cuda. We used the factory engine, trans, wiring harness, computer and dash cluster. You can check out the photos here: 5.7 Cuda

We are doing some market research to see what interest people have in this type of project.

Would you buy an A Body car with a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi installed?

What would you feel is a fair price?

How would you like to see the car built? Near Stock, Modified, etc.

What would keep you from buying this type of project? Price, Power, Looks, etc.

Thanks for your opinions.

Since this is hypothetical, I'll sound off with my opinion. Other than saying you have a hemi in your car, what would the advantage be over a stroked smallblock or a 440? I would imagine that the 5.7 install would cost a bit more being you'll need harness, computer, etc.. I don't know if there would be a weight advantage. Myself, I don't think I would be interested in it unless there is some big advantage somewhere over a stout smallblock, or a street bigblock. JMO, Mike

I agree ! To me this would only interest people who have money to burn and don't give a hoot about any originality.

Well, I couldn't disagree w/the last two post more. That's b/c I too am putting a 5.7L in a Abody as well. I think ppl will realize the the real power of the 3rd generation Hemi. I'm not using a computer though, I'll be doing it carb. Anyways back to the question: If the car is "cherry" with Hemi I'd want 25+K for it...... but that b/c it's a Barracuda.

Jason

Since this is hypothetical, I'll sound off with my opinion. Other than saying you have a hemi in your car, what would the advantage be over a stroked smallblock or a 440? I would imagine that the 5.7 install would cost a bit more being you'll need harness, computer, etc.. I don't know if there would be a weight advantage. Myself, I don't think I would be interested in it unless there is some big advantage somewhere over a stout smallblock, or a street bigblock. JMO, Mike

With the new Hemi, you can jump in and turn the key. Evan on the coldest mornings and it will start and not need to sit there and warm up. Then on the warmest of days I will have A/C and no overheating worries.

There is the WOW factor to consider. AND I will probably beat most small block and big block cars in a head to head race.

Plus how "original" is a 440 A Body? Only a few Darts and Cuda's came with them. A Duster was never optioned with a 440.

I'm all over putting modern fuel injected motors into classic muscle cars and modernizing the suspension and brakes. If you have a numbers matching car then leave it be but otherwise you simply can not beat the modern stuff, period. You turn the key and go, no warm ups, no finicky carbs, just go. Safer, more reliable, what's wrong with that? It may not be for everyone but it's far from rich people throwing their money away, you get a classic with modern relaibility. :toothy7: I'll take that anyday over a new anything. :toothy7:

With the new Hemi, you can jump in and turn the key. Evan on the coldest mornings and it will start and not need to sit there and warm up. Then on the warmest of days I will have A/C and no overheating worries.

There is the WOW factor to consider. AND I will probably beat most small block and big block cars in a head to head race.

Plus how "original" is a 440 A Body? Only a few Darts and Cuda's came with them. A Duster was never optioned with a 440.

You make some good points. Down here in Fl all the classic rides have a/c without problems. Not many cold mornings. Just wonder price difference between doing up a 400hp/360 w/trans, etc., compared to a 400hp 5.7 w/trans, accessories would be. Mike

Do you guys hot rod the new hemi's before you put them in, or are they just stock? I know that you can make a lot of power with them. I would also imagine that they would probably get a little better fuel mileage because they are fuel injected? I would be interested, except I don't have a lot of money. But if you need another test car...let me know:toothy7:

would i buy a complete car that is done? heck no. takes all the fun out of it... but i would definatley buy a wiring kit to do it.

i would love to have a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi in my car.... have you seen what they run in those tank chargers and 300's ? those cars have to be 4500 pounds... i can only imagine what one would do in a car that is 1200 pounds lighter....

then you have all the advantages of fuel injection. sooner or later you will start to see alot of these swaps....

Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on this one. Im not "rich", yet im gonna put a 5.7 in my 64 dart convertible. Why? A few reasons, one is power for its size, the other is gas milage, guess another is easy start ups and so on. As far as a stroked la block vs the new hemis, ill say this, by the time you get a good old 360 or 340 putting out even 360hp, you most probably have a lopy cam and your eninge is probably getting into the "raced on the weekends" catagory. A base model 5.7 hemi gets those numbers without the eninge being worked over at all. That said, dollar for dollar, right now it is easier and cheaper to put an old 360 in an old car, but thats because of the EFI stuff (if your gonna use it). If your gonna put EFI on a 360, itll run ya some money though, so you should just go with a 5.7 hemi to begin with. I think its unfair to compare a stock 5.7 hemi against a stroked 360. Why? I think a better comparrison would be a stock 360 vs a stock 5.7 hemi. As time passes hemi swaps will get more common and cheaper, and a stroked new hemi will out power a stroked 360 easy. Also carbed hemis are on the rise.
As far as putting a 440 in a dart...yes a stock 440 out powers a stock 345 hemi (5.7), but not by much horsepower. The big block has way more torque of corse which is i guess good for luanches and pulling tree stumps. im not building a drag car though, i want my car to handle well in corners so having a big heavy big block kinda steals my little 64 darts nimbleness away. Alot of guys dont know it, but the new hemis weigh less then la small blocks, and only weigh a little more then my old slant six (10lbs). So my slant six to 5.7 hemi swap hasnt added much wieght to my front end. Im also using the alterktion up front, so that lightens things up even more.
As far as buying an already done car, i think buying a car done already steals away the fun you have putting it together, so id feel odd buying a car that didnt have a little work done by myself, but that said if your trying to figure out prices, do the math. Add up your materials and labour and see what it comes out to. Some old cars will need more work then others. Are you restoring the cars, or just offering to do the new hemi swap? If your taking a prefectly good conditioned dart and doing just the hemi swap, id say 2o-25k sounds right, if your using new engines and trans. if your gonna be using pulled engines, id say less. If your doing body work and all that, id say more, because some cars will need more work then others.

nothing personal, but :poke:

Wedgeheader-Racing-Red.jpg

I thought about doing this to my Dart myself. I think it would be cool. But after looking into it more, it did not seem cost effective. Cool yes, but not cheap.

FYI....my buddy has a shop down in Texas that has been doing this...He has been working with a company that will make the correct wiring harness for this application.
What he as used in the past is the 6.2 Hemi.. Take a look or give him a call..

http://paintshop101.com

Talk to Steve...Good guy to work with

Rick

When you put a new engine in a old car, doesnt it have to have all the emmision stuff on it and need a test every other year again?

I would assume, and someone may correct me, that your car only needs to meet the emmision requirments that a car of that year came with and in theory it would be better with the new motor.

it depends how the car is registered in certian states...

in jersey i just register them as historic and there is no inspection...

if registered it as a regular car tin certian states it has to pass for whatever is newer. the body or motor.

supposedly those transmissions aren't much to write home about. i would never use the factory wiring harness, too much extra ****. wouldn't buy a done car either. thought about doing this myself, but i would go thru the motor before i dropped it in. steve dulcich got 480 hp by just a cam and header swap. i can't remember who makes the simplified harnesses.

in missouri a old car doesnt have to pass emissions. I think if its 20 years or older, maybe more. How could a 64 dart pass emissions? A slant six probably puts out more emissions then a 5.7 hemi anyway. The laws are different in each state.
as far as tranmissions, im gonna use the tremec 5 speed. autos are cool for daily drivers and 10 second race cars, but i think my fun car needs some manual shifting.

I actually was asking, if you put a new motor, I.E, a 5.7 Hemi in a slant six car, doesnt the slant six car now have to go through emmisions now, because it has a modern motor?

I think here is Wa. the rules are the car can have what ever options were available for that yr car, but if you install a modern engine it has to have all the emmision controls on it.

Pricing highly modified vehicle ike this for the market is, I think, alot like pricing a vacation home - each is different and unique and very subject to whim. An awful lot has to do with how it's done - who it will appeal to; much like the way the factories do market research on new models and carefully gauge responses to proposed new offerings at new car shows. In doing so they keep an eye on what colors are hot, and what options people want on a year by year basis.

This is different than doing a ground up restor, where there is a more or less known audience and a book value for these - and they can get appraised because of that.

I do sense that there is a market for this kind of thing, but there are so many ways it can be done and so many ways it can be messed up that I'd be very careful to guess a price point (hate that phrase, but that's what they call it).

Personally, it's the kind of thing that, done right, I would like; for the same reasons as already given ... new tough engine, lighter weight, better mpg, good power. But I would be watching closely for engineering quality ... header clearance, steering mechanicals clearance, engine mounts, transmission apparatus, ... all the custom stuff that can really become a nightmare if not done correctly - in short I'd be a wary buyer.

If I were to look for one, I'd only want it if it were EFI ... if it's carb'd I'd just as soon keep to the old LA.

I think a 5.7L in an A body would make a pretty sweet reliable Touring vehicle.

Lets see 5.7L vs 440CI
Using a 1-10 Scale
--------------5.7L-------440CI
RWHP--------300+(7)-----300+(7)
MPG ----------25 (10)-----13(4)
Driveability------10-----------5
Cost for Pwr-----4-----------8
Uniqueness------8-----------4
Total-----------39 ----------28

300+ RWHP and 25MPG can't argue with that.

The way I drove that Hemi I rented, 25mpg would seem a tad too high - ok a lot too high, lol. Wife just phoned and said our MC came in from our trip, so I'll REALLY know later :)

Grant

I actually was asking, if you put a new motor, I.E, a 5.7 Hemi in a slant six car, doesnt the slant six car now have to go through emmisions now, because it has a modern motor?

I think here is Wa. the rules are the car can have what ever options were available for that yr car, but if you install a modern engine it has to have all the emmision controls on it.

What is cutoff year for emissions in your state?

-
Back