who's Running 18 "s ?

-

MoparVT

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a "make over" on my 72 swinger. I am installing an 8 3/4" lsd rear,new rear springs,front & rear swaybar,and upgrading to 4 wheel power wilwood 4 piston calipers w/ drilled & slotted discs.(all with the lager bolt pattern)

I know I wont be able to verify my backspacing/offset untill I get everything installed and actually do some measuring,BUT,I am curious as to what you guys (who are running 17's,18's +) are running for wheels/tires. How they look,fit,etc. and your wheel measurements (offset/backspacing).

Any info on measurements,places to buy from,and/or pics,will be appreciated !

Thanks!

I'm running 17 and 18s, just on a whole different vehicle however. My only recommendation is to measure, measure, measure. One of the best tools I had was a friends car. He had 18s on his mustang, and I was able to try it on and see where I needed room, space out, or whatever. I'm running 295/45/18s on a stock suspension barracuda.

Dude. Really???

Not sure what that means, Dude? :read2:

255/35/18's front/ 345/30/19's rear

With the right stance, all size wheels can look cool.

11-12 Demon on the ground 012.jpg

rjsjea : Looks good !

I think w/the swingers small rear well, 18's around would be sufficient.

rjsjea : Looks good !

I think w/the swingers small rear well, 18's around would be sufficient.

I agree, I wanted 18's but they dont make them tall enough in the width I wanted. Plus the Demon has a big a$$

Here is a pic of a Dart w/ 18's

poisondartontour%20(4).jpg

I run 18"s. I have always wonder if I should have gone with 17"s in front and 18"s out back. But I have already spent the money, no turning back. Im pleased with what I have anyways.

Dodgedart 013 (Small).jpg

Those that are running 18's, do any of you have the RMS AlterK? I'd like to run 18's but everything I've read says to avoid it with the AlterK. I know 17's will fit no problem, but I'd like a bit more wheel, plus the FR500's I want are more difficult to find in 17's.

I hope to be rolling on some 18" Torq Thrust M's on my 72 Dart Swinger when it is all done. My dad is completely against the idea and wants to get some 15's for it.

I had a guy photo shop for me what it would look like with the wheels I wanted on it:

Random-carschops_1312759_510.jpg

I'm running 17's on a 65 Cuda. 275's on the rear and 215's on the front. The problem I had was finding rims with the correct back spacing as I wanted the tires to fit in the stock wheel well. I purchased a wheel rite from jegs to get the fit prefect. Measure lots!!
My rear rims are 17 X 9 with +24 mil offset which relates to 5.95 back space.

i have 17x8 hweels all the way around on my dart with 5.72 backspace. not sure if they would fit up front with a stock suspension though. i think pete (gmachinedartgt) is a member here. i know he just went 18" wheels and his car looks awesome.

Those that are running 18's, do any of you have the RMS AlterK? I'd like to run 18's but everything I've read says to avoid it with the AlterK. I know 17's will fit no problem, but I'd like a bit more wheel, plus the FR500's I want are more difficult to find in 17's.

I have the AlterK. I have never heard that 18's should be avoided w/ it. I can say first hand that is not accurate. If anything the opposite is true, because the 18's allow for more room for the steering tie rod, bigger brakes etc....

I have the AlterK. I have never heard that 18's should be avoided w/ it. I can say first hand that is not accurate. If anything the opposite is true, because the 18's allow for more room for the steering tie rod, bigger brakes etc....

i agree. i think you have it backwards. you run into back space problems when going under a 17" rim with the alter-k. 18" should be fine. infact i think bill i sgoing with 18" rims on his own dart.

and if you have any questions about the alter-k don't hesitate to give bill a call (Phone - 570-443-7440
). his customer service is incredible.

I misread your post! I thought you were asking who was running 18s, as in seconds! Beside me in my S6 Volare wagon, you'll have to post that question on one of the Import Tuner websites!

The FR500's are a mustang wheel and being a mustang fan also they are not hard to find at all. Check out 50resto.com and americanmuscle.com they both carry fr500's in 17x9, 17x10, 17x10.5 as well as 18's.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangt ... 06-11.html

The only problem you may have is a mustang has a lot more room for backspacing than a dart and usually have more offset. Make shire you measure before purchase.

I agree. I think you have it backwards. You run into back space problems when going under a 17" rim with the alter-k. 18" should be fine. In fact I think bill is going with 18" rims on his own dart.

This is correct, when I was going though the planning of what rims to buy. I tried the rims off my mustang first. They are 17' with a big back space over 6" and would hit the arms easy. The 18's I have now clear with plenty of room, but if I was to drop down to 17's with the same wheel I not to sure if the 5" backspace would be to much to clear the arms.

Currently I have 18x8 centerline rims with 5" backspace and 0 Offset. The only thing I would have changed is maybe a front rim with a little positive offset to move it into the fender. Unfortunately wheel makers don’t make the same wheels to fit every combination out there so you just need to find the best fit in the style you are looking for. I had to set up to hemi torsion bars to prevent the wheel from rubbing the fender in tight turns. But I also don’t have a front swar bar yet, this would help the car from leaning into the wheel on turns.

I have 17x7 wheels on my 67. I'm not going to take the time to type up the combination that I've already done several times.

The most important thing to remember is that what fits is greatly affected by the height of the car, and the width and diameter of the tire itself. What works for one person may not work for you.

Picture%2520004small.jpg

Definitely a big my bad on that one. I thought I read on the RMS Tech Pages about avoiding the use of 18's, I just reread the tech and can't find a mention of it anywhere. My mistake, I'm just going to have to measure like crazy to squeeze some 18" FR500's underneath.

Thanks everyone ,for the input!

71swing: BEAUTIFUL car !! Are you running the same wheels front & back (same backspace/offset) ? What are your tire sizes?

-
Back