Who's running a PG behind a small block?

-

littlestroke

Reaction score
Who's running a power glide behind a small block? Who has the best adapt kit? Will I need to relocate the trans mount location or shorten my driveshaft. How about the convertor and starter. What will be my total cost at least a ball park figure.Thanks for any help.

You will be looking to spend close to a grand to install a powerglide tranny if you are intending to do all the fab work.The adapter plate can be a couple of hundred bucks,a new drive shaft as it will be about a foot longer because the PG is about a foot shorter than a 727,and the fab work to make the new tranny mount close to the front or adapt a bracket onto the origanal mount.Do decide on which tranny to use,a straight 6 version or a V8 model,same bolt pattern but different gear ratio,s.If you do intend to install one,spare no expense on a rebuild and by the best parts on the market,as the tranny was made for a couple of hundred HP and not pony power of 400hp and more.Many a drag car have them and run well,but fatiuge is a problem,and when they go,they go with a bang and parts fly,mrmopartech

I've had this discusion/arguement with a fellow enthusiast/bowtie wannabe drag racer at work. Why the enticement to run an antiquated 2-speed, when you can run (argueably the best) 3-speed auto to ever come down the turnpike?

LEN,my thoughts are this,if some one wants to do it,great,no problem,just do it the right way and do not kill your self in the process.But when you weight the cost and what you get out of it if you are a drag racer it might be worth it,a street machine,no benifit at all to me,mrmopartech

I want to run a transbrake in heads-up racing and I have been told the PG holds up better. If it's cheaper to go with the 727 I would, but I'm really looking for something that will hold up. By the time I get a brake and alum drum for the 727 I will be looking at 1500 with labor. If it breaks, there goes my season. I can replace a PG for half the price. I may be wrong about this whole deal, I have never run a transbrake. My combo is only pushing 425hp.

Can you run a trans brake,YES,on a 400hp motor I don,t think it would be worth it to me.If it was a super gas car or 9 second warrior,no problem,go for it.Now a glide can brake in mid season just like a torqueflite can,and if you build the TF right it last for a very long time if maintain properly,and is built for the purpose at hand.If you are looking for weight savings and low drag,build a 904 for the drag car,and have a world of fun.Mrmopartech

I got this itch also one time, i decided to install a p/g in my super street duster with a 440. i used everything from Trans King. convertor, electric shift valve body, flywheel, adapt kit. i had to fabricate the trans mount & fab the adapter plate into a mid-plate. the only thing i did't like was the starter bolted directly to the 3/8 mid plate. there is no support for the starter nose. i was warned by other racers about the starter problems, broke housings, etc. i made a custom nose support out of a block of alum. my car weighed 3300 lbs with me in it. total cost for everything, including building the trans, was cheap $1200.00. i had more than $2000.00 in my t/flite. results- it was very consitent, just stick in an rpm shift chip & stab & steer. however, it was the most boring race car i had ever driven. no more wheel stands, 1.5 tenths slower, i went from 10.60's to 10.80s. it did hook every pass. well two weeks later i put the t/flite back in! i couldn't wipe the grin off my face! later i was told the p/glide will work better in a lighter car. just remember, anything over 3000 lbs needs that 2:45 low first gear. if it was mine, i would put in a 904 with the 2:74 low gear & go have some fun!

mikedevore said:
if it was mine, i would put in a 904 with the 2:74 low gear & go have some fun!

I love my low gear set 904 and 8" T/A converter.

I have a 2000 pound Daytona and with a PG, I could not get my car to 60 foot at all. Put in a A-1 Proflite and picked 2 tenths. My small block makes 835 Hp. I also ran the 904 when I was running low 9's in a 70 Cuda with the brake. Those tranny's hold up very well. I have 2 of those for sale, 1 with a T/A brake with 20 passes and 1 with a A-1 brake and billet input shaft with 4 passes.

-
Back