Why are mopar parts so scarce at swap meets?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Why are mopar parts so scarce at swap meets? Went to probably one of the biggest non-marquee specific swap meets in the area, drawing sellers and buyers from at least 4 states. And only a handful of mopar parts.

Volume ... there simply isn't as many of "us" as there are those "other guys" with the bow-tie and blue oval

Simple, Mopars ain't junk like the other brands, and there was way less of em being junked!!!!!

because all the mopar parts that are up for grabs are here on fabo or on f_bo

Very true, you can almost build a 69 Camaro from the ground up at most of the swap meets I go to. But, I have found some cool Mopar parts in the hands of unknowing Chebbie dudes. A lot of these guys get parts in trades or whatnot and will have some Mopar parts laid out with the brand X stuff. So search carefully!

because they are a bad *** brand and never needed any parts lol

i chatted with one of the bigger suppliers a couple of years ago about this.
He said Mopar represented 5% of aftermarket sales...we ain't very important!

You need to make a road trip and come to the Indy Cyl. Head Trade Show and Swap Meet. It
was this past weekend in Indianapolis. This is just for Mopars.

Always around the first week in March.

...........Because I have been hoarding tons for nearly 40 years....sad thing is that when I die they will all get recycled.........kim........

...........Because I have been hoarding tons for nearly 40 years....sad thing is that when I die they will all get recycled.........kim........

If you have hoarded for 40 years might be time to start parting with some so they go to a good home instead of your family sending it to the junk pile

Mopar parts at swap meets unless it is a Mopar swap meet is non existent. I use to go and look but if I really needed something didn't bother with a regular swap meet that is mainly GM stuff and a little ford

If you have hoarded for 40 years might be time to start parting with some so they go to a good home instead of your family sending it to the junk pile

Mopar parts at swap meets unless it is a Mopar swap meet is non existent. I use to go and look but if I really needed something didn't bother with a regular swap meet that is mainly GM stuff and a little ford

what little I`ve seen at swap meets , is junk I wouldn`t put on my car anyway !

because we hoard our gold...

^ This! It's not just at general swap meets, but at Mopar car show swap meets also. For several years now, about all you see in the Mopar show swap meets is junk that nobody wants. I gathered up all of my non essentials several years ago, and sold it at Farmington and Rockingham. This past Saturday, I went to the N. Georgia Swap Meet at Atlanta Dragway. There were 2 pairs of crusty aluminum valve covers for a small block Mopar, and a right tail light assembly for a 65 Barracuda. That's it!......and there were probably 3 acres of stuff in the swap meet!

I only go to Mopar only swap meets.

There is a large all brand swap meet an hour south of me in Cedar Rapids twice a year. Seems like every time I go there are no Mopar parts. When I don't, I hear lots of Mopar parts stories from the guys that go.

its pretty simple. why would anyone haul mopar parts to an all brand swap!??? no mopar guys will bother to go because they KNOW no mopar parts worth having will be there basically.

big all brand swap at springfiled, mo few weeks ago. I just went to see what cool tools might be there. I saw a handful of mopar parts chevy vendors had laying there. all overpriced junk they really didn't want OR me neither! lol

decades back, I have found a few good items at huge all brands swaps, but for every one I found, I walked probably 50 miles! LOL

I rather go to an all mopar swap with 10 vendors than a general swap with 1000 vendors. just me.

And then there's the other side of it. I dragged a truck load to Garlits Mopar show. No One was looking. There were just a few window shoppers. I made $150. I wont do that again. And I did have some good stuff.

And then there's the other side of it. I dragged a truck load to Garlits Mopar show. No One was looking. There were just a few window shoppers. I made $150. I wont do that again. And I did have some good stuff.

ha!!! lets face it, old car guys are tight wads! me included. I have bought and sold many parts decades ago. thing is it takes many people and many parts to do any good. the average guy has 1 car that is missing a few parts. not like the guy that is there restoring 5-6 cars. and the after market vendor, he doesn't have to show up at swaps, if he does its P R to establish some new customers.

all Mopar shows worth attending are East of Mississippi, except Mn. or somewhere like Vegas or Left Coast!???? no matter how many nice parts a guy might have here, it will not pay him to travel to Oh or Pa to sell..... high priced swap spot, hotel, meals, fuel...

i chatted with one of the bigger suppliers a couple of years ago about this. He said Mopar represented 5% of aftermarket sales...we ain't very important!

We're down to only 5%? :wack:

I knew we had a minority share ... but I didn't think it was THAT low!

I guess that must be the big picture that includes not only domestic, but also all of the rice and sauerkraut burning imports too.

At only 5%, were doomed. :violent2:

Because the gm sales compared to mopar was about 4 to 1.More cars sold equals more parts

I too only go to Mopar only swap meets, but I do very well selling at them! I traditionally like to take larger items to swap meets to avoid shipping them! I also hardly ever sell anything early A body related at the swap meets I set up at, and instead make way more money on 67 and up A stuff, and B body parts! I make most of my early A body sales right here on FABO, where there is a large concentration of early A enthusiasts! I agree with Ramenth on this one, the Internet has changed the parts selling game, I can now sit back and list a few items on Sunday afternoon from the comfort of my garage, not some cold, dank, Chevy infested barn sale!!!

-
Back