Why do Mopar Engines Have a Different Sound From Chevys and Fords??

-
FWIW: The Ford 351 and 5.0 HO use a different firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) than the 221-260-289-302 SBs.

Sometimes similar setups yield different tones. I recall the inaugural Talledega 500 when the winning 69 Daytona of winner Richard Brickhouse sounded very different from 2d place finisher Jim Vandiver. No one at Woodward South ever commented on why it sounded different and I never thought to ask.

I just figured it had something to do with quality versus "brand X tinney sound", lol.

Actually, I agree with a lot of the theories here about the "why", and have noticed the distinct different sounds of Furd "mod" motors, Mopar SBs, Mopar BBs, BBCs, SBCs, Furd flatheads, and the 4.7s in Rams, 'Kotas, and 'Rangos. Nobody gonna try to tell me it's the exhaust system, cause a 4.7 with duals still sounds like a 4.7, and a 4.7 with the restrictive stock crap sounds like a 4.7. People with functional ears know.

ahh so this is why I can tell if its a Camaro or a mustang without looking.

Harley went so far as to patent the "Harley sound"
I can believe that- one night, around midnight, a neighbour (he lived on the corner of the next block) was working on his Harley. After about the 20th stall, I yelled out my window "IT MUST BE A HARLEY-YOU CAN HEAR IT DIE FROM A MILE AWAY!!!!"

He stopped for the night.

yeah, mod motors have that distinctive basso (somehow) for a small block, rumble that doesn't change much.
LS engines, have that sort of buhbuhbuhbuhbuhbuh sound at idle that gradually changes to a scream above 4500 rpm.
imo, hemis and Caddy 472/500s have the best sounding engines I've ever heard. Mostly because youtubers that own mopars have shitty mics on their cameras on the account of all the money they've spent on making the car beat Furds and Chevys they don't have enough to invest in a good camera. whereas Ford and chevy people don't spend much on their cars but invest in good cameras to lengthen their e-peen. :D

FWIW: The Ford 351 and 5.0 HO use a different firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) than the 221-260-289-302 SBs.

Sometimes similar setups yield different tones. I recall the inaugural Talledega 500 when the winning 69 Daytona of winner Richard Brickhouse sounded very different from 2d place finisher Jim Vandiver. No one at Woodward South ever commented on why it sounded different and I never thought to ask.

The 221-302's use a odd firing order too compared to Mopar.(15426378)

My buddy had a 67 GTO with tripower. That thing had it's own distinct sound. You could hear each cylinder fire. Like a John Deere!!!! It would haul though and was fun to ride in. Absolutely no brakes, he eventually got rid of it.

:coffee2:
.... Caddy 472/500s have the best sounding engines I've ever heard. Mostly because youtubers that own mopars have shitty mics on their cameras on the account of all the money they've spent on making the car beat Furds and Chevys they don't have enough to invest in a good camera. ... :D

Everyone knows that quality cameras are for women and GM girly men. Allow me to demonstrate dialog from said GM types ..."Hi, I'm Biff and a Sagittarius. Would you mind filming me all slathered up with baby oil, on the hood of my 350 Malibu/SS-Chevelle. Yeh, it makes 400 hp because I had my guy put a Holley on it like CarCraft recommends. Hey listen, I don't have that guy any longer (giggle) would you like to be my new guy."

Funny, that before the various "power augmentation" became common the only thing a Mopar had to fear was another Mopar and I grudgingly admit, the very occasional Buick. Now,.... Don't make me taunt you a second time.
:burnout:

I miss the sound of my GT-R screaming and those turbos workin, oh the magic in the air :twisted:
Oh a Ferrari work it's magic is also quite beautiful!
I need to dyno my 340.

i can always tell when a 440 has high compression especially with a 4 speed .....under load it has a high pitch ring to it ....the lower compression ones have a deeper tone that does not go as loud ...also on a 4 speed you can hear the compression in between gears when you unload it by putting the clutch in kinda:

RAAAAAAAAbaaaRAAAAAAAAAbaaaRAAAAAAAABaaUmmmmmm :D

Re. Rotary motors, The word obnoxious comes to mind, LOL

Im gonna be that guy and say the Ford H.O. smallblocks (302-351) is the best sounding motors. Yes, I said the F word.

You can always hear a Mopar, nothing sounds better than a built up, cammed up Mopar, especially with open headers :glasses7:

Chevy and Fords can sound good, but rarely do IMO, especially when they run with open headers it sounds like the exhaust is underwater, just some lame bubbling gurgle sound....what the hell is with that???...Mopar Rules :glasses7:

You can always hear a Mopar, nothing sounds better than a built up, cammed up Mopar, especially with open headers :glasses7:

Chevy and Fords can sound good, but rarely do IMO, especially when they run with open headers it sounds like the exhaust is underwater, just some lame bubbling gurgle sound....what the hell is with that???...Mopar Rules :glasses7:

LMAO !!

XS10:burnout:

LMAO !!

XS10:burnout:

Its true!!!! You get it too Lance!!!

I love how my 340 engines sound, my 340 in my 74 Satellite has a .509 lift cam and 2 1/2" full dual exhaust, Heddman X-pipe and Flowmasters...I have been told 100's of times that car sounds great! The best is when I am driving through a crowd, someone always says "man, that sucker sounds mean" :glasses7: I also go to car shows a little late and leave early, just so people can hear how sexy my cars sound!!! :D

Sorry, a built up, cammed up 340 is just damn sexy :prayer:

Its true!!!! You get it too Lance!!!

I love how my 340 engines sound, my 340 in my 74 Satellite has a .509 lift cam and 2 1/2" full dual exhaust, Heddman X-pipe and Flowmasters...I have been told 100's of times that car sounds great! The best is when I am driving through a crowd, someone always says "man, that sucker sounds mean" :glasses7: I also go to car shows a little late and leave early, just so people can hear how sexy my cars sound!!! :D

even my stock 318 with headers and dual exhaust has a deep tone that is all Mopar distinction. my 360 with 484/280 with open headers almost sounds like a big block . my neighbor came over one day and asked me if that thing had a 440 LOL

I live in Speedway IN about 1 block from the Police Station and I hear the "silent runs" of the 3rd shift police here. The dept. uses both Ford Crown Vics and Hemi Chargers and I can always tell which one is going by at full throttle.

even my stock 318 with headers and dual exhaust has a deep tone that is all Mopar distinction. my 360 with 484/280 with open headers almost sounds like a big block . my neighbor came over one day and asked me if that thing had a 440 LOL
Back in the day I owned a 1974 Roadrunner with a 318 in it (they did come from the factory with duals at least) and a lot of people asked if it had a big block in it.

I have always been able to tell the sound of a Mopar. Even my father inlaw thinks my almost stock 360 sounds better than the 350 i built him and he dumped 5k in that drive train.(around 435hp estimate from parts i bought) i ran side pipes its in a 280z. tried to talk him into mopar but he was going to keep the straight 6 in it. finally got him to at least let me build him a v8 he chose chevy i think he regrets it now that i have my duster rofl. i just have the dual dumped at the rear end with magnaflows mild cam and intake and carb thats it. When i charge my phone ill post two pics of our motors lol

-
Back