why does it sound like a WW2 biplane?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
today i just got done rebuilding my carb and put it on my 318. after a nice smooth drive around the city i took it on the highway to the next town over. after 15 mins on there the car started to blow white smoke out of the exaust and was smelling REALLY rich (I did do the timing down correctly and pressure was dead on) there was oil leaking out of my rear seal, my pcv valve, my oil cap, and seeping thru some of my valve cover. when I took out my dipstick white smoke came out of there. so I check my coolant level and it was stil good. starting it the driver side started to make a loud knock (i've been having a slight pinging noise from the rocker arms so maybe it is something of that nature). after 30 mins of letting it cool, I drove it home sounding like a WW II plane. I had no power or acceleration loss whatsoever, and my oil is stil at the full line. any suggestions as to what the heck it is?

The white smoke is water from somewhere. What carb? Was intake manifold removed? Water level may look ok when engine is hot, how about when cold?

Something is causing the crankcase to pressurize. Are PCV and crankcase vent connected to appropriate ports on carb?

I got white smoke out of a 3.9 w/150k when cylinder 5 cracked parallel to webbing. The coolant was full and inside of the motor was clean. All of the smoke went out the tail pipe, no underhood smoke or oil spray. Good luck.

the carb is a Holly 1460 and the intake is a white-sumthing dual hi-rise. I didn't take off the intake at all and I will check the fluid level today, there was some oil spray from the engine though

You said you have a slight pining noise from the rocker arms?
Your getting way to much crank case pressure and you have a knock?
Thats alot off very bad news ////////
I have way too many questions about the engine and how this all came about by changing a carb?
If i had to guess by your information i would say you ran the car while under detination on the highway and have a hole threw one of your pistons and your motors toast.
I HOPE THATS NOT THE CASE BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST.
pull the plugs and do a compresion test on all the cylinders and go from there.
LOOK AT THE PLUGS FOR DAMAGE TOO.
I didn't understand what you ment by the
{timing being down and the presure was dead on}?????????????
LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT

p.s. what was your engine temp up too?

I'll be doing all those tests this thanksgiving weekend. I've bought a used 318 from a friend that's been sitting in his dad's garage since 1981 and has only 41,000 miles onher so it's engine swapping time. will post pictures of the swap and problems on weeks to come. also will have some engine parts for sale prob.

I wont get out my compression tester yet. I look for greyish foam on the inside of the oil fill cap. I put my coolant system tester on the radiater and pump it up. If the pressure drops I start looking for where the water is going which might include removing spark plugs. You could have a wrist pin cut though a water jacket or who knows. Broke is broke though.
I;d rather remove the neg. battery cable early in trouble shooting.
Different strokes for differnt folks. Good luck with it.

If you have another engine to swap in, start there.

But pop the heads off the old one and tell us which piston has the hole in it.

What is the timing set to? How is oil pressure?

Is the PCV and breather working and hooked up?

What does the oil look like?

Rocker arms don't ping. Compression test first, you've already checked the fluid levels. I suspect the ping was detonation and now you have a hole in the piston or at the least the top ring land is burnt away.

Spark knock, ping, detonation what ever you want to call it is murder on the pistons. You might as well just pull the heads off and beat the top of the pistons with a hammer.

Rocker arms don't ping. Compression test first, you've already checked the fluid levels. I suspect the ping was detonation and now you have a hole in the piston or at the least the top ring land is burnt away.

Spark knock, ping, detonation what ever you want to call it is murder on the pistons. You might as well just pull the heads off and beat the top of the pistons with a hammer.

I like the way you put things ,nice and subtle lol

sounds to me like it might have been lean adn it ate a piston or gasket...? also..
?? ......could be something simple...but white smoke is coolant.
pull the rad cap off then start it up...if you got puff puff puff in there..
its head gasket..
fwiw
cheapst

You might as well just pull the heads off and beat the top of the pistons with a hammer.

Pinging is much worse than that, LOL......

I saw a nitwit eat three pistons in a blown 502 in less than 8 seconds.........

I just took my old engine out and started to pull it apart. 5 collapsed lifters, 1 head gasket blown, and a bearing gone. New engine A OK. my Bud snaped some pics of the new engine I'll post 'em asap

it's cool though I got a 2nd motor I'm gonna put it in tonight. pics will follow
'

well everyone I've finally finished my engine swapped, stil tuning it but MAN much better, here's some pics (yea I know It's not mopar blue, but it goes with the interior of the car new engine.jpg here's the engine I bought before redoing it
coat1.jpg
new rings, rubber, and other parts all in!
engineincar.jpg
Engine in car!

new engine.jpg

coat1.jpg

engineincar.jpg

-
Back