Why does my new alternator have 4 posts, not three?

-
alter.jpg

GRD possibly.. Can't really tell now that I installed it.....So,, just a ground wire probably? The one I returned didn't have this post... Freakin' made in China AC Delco :mad:

Also, refresh my memory. Does it matter which Field Wire I plug in to each Field? I'll have to look at my book...

No plastic washer to insulate #4 post points to an extra ground?

Hook you're original [green wire] to the #3 in your pic, this wire is the lower right wire on the regulator plug if it's upright with plug on bottom.

I peaked through the holes in the casing... no wires or anything attached... Just seems odd, as I have never seen this before!

Yeah, it's a case ground. I've got the same thing on my 90A Bosch alt that I upgraded to. You don't have to have use it as the bracket is really a good ground to the engine, but I ran a 6ga ground from that lug to my cylinder head anyway. It's was really not necessary, but gives me peace of mind. I have a solid 14.5V even at idle.

There are similar holes in a few bosses for dead studs.
The stud is put there for the kids testing the altenators at auto parts stores more than anything else. Screw it out and toss it if you want.

alter splained.jpg

You might be missing a spacer between the case and the cyl head on the long bolt.

hay judge. did you ever get your power stearing plumbed up.

last night..... i'm planning on posting pics soon :cheers: for less than five bucks you can buy stainless line with two fittings on it.. so just messed around with it till it worked, then cut one end off....

From my experience,that ground was used when that alt. was used on the front wheel drive cars like the Omni,Horizon,Reliants etc. =P~

From my experience,that ground was used when that alt. was used on the front wheel drive cars like the Omni,Horizon,Reliants etc. =P~

true that,
the 2.2/2.5 eng family ("k" platform) use rubber bushing inserts in the alt mounting bracket.

as stated though, there is no such thing as "ground overkill". I would
add the extra ground.

true that,
the 2.2/2.5 eng family ("k" platform) use rubber bushing inserts in the alt mounting bracket.

as stated though, there is no such thing as "ground overkill". I would
add the extra ground.

Oh, I will... I will have a few ground wires running around that engine bay.

That's one thing I learned working with car audio: You can never have too much ground. Usually when you buy a amplifier wiring kit, the ground wire they provide is insufficient... I kind of think it is that way when it comes to cars in general... The local parts store said it was fine to just run a ground to the radiator support and call it good.....

Uh, in the pics provided, at the base of the post marked 4, you can see "gnd" in the casting. Am I the only one who sees this???

FF

-
Back