why don't people like helicoiled bolt holes in intakes

-
Here are the tests. Heli coil wins due to cost being much cheaper . time-sert next due to the narrowest repair but expensive

Kia/Hyundai have block failure head bolts pull out and give you the same symptoms of bad head gasket , the fix is thread certs. Terrible Quality control don’t buy one there junk . The car not the repair .
You need to talk to a longtime Caddy tech, lololol!!!!!!

I agree when they are done right but I have seen a few done wrong/crooked, maybe that's where the hesitation come from.
The butchery I've witnessed says that right there. Drilled offset/crooked by a mook deters a bunch who don't want to hog out a hole, or plop the carb down, then finger in the crooked stud every time. Unless You've got a live eyeball on it, hard to tell from pics, so....

I have seen several ads and posts that make a big deal about the bolt holes not being helicoiled in an intake manifold. I don't get it. I've had many manifolds that have carb stud holes helicoiled and even one that had the themostat housing holes done and never had a problem out of them, what gives???? Some of the coolest manifolds haven't been made for 40 or 50 years.
I have NEVER had a problem with a Heli Coil. A few people in this thread have stated that sometimes people do a poor/crooked job of drilling out and tapping the hole. Big deal, people screw things up all the time. Just because a few people do something poorly, that does NOT make the product they screwed up a bad one.

Last edited:
I certainly agree with the comments above. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Thanks to all for the benefit of your collective million years of experience!!!

I helicoil everything. Aluminum transmission case, aluminum extension housing (tailshaft), Indy heads, 440 source heads, intake manifolds of all brands and even a few 4150 carb main bodies. It's not an "if", but a "when". Part of the magic in usong a helicoil is that you have steel on steel at the thread mating surface. This helps mitigate thread damage which is very common when steel is threaded into aluminum.

If you ever went to tighten the last bolt an an aluminum *anything* and the threads started to pull you know that heart sinking feeling. For me it is easier to run through a part and install the helicoils as part of the prep work than to have an unexpected emergency.

I have NEVER had a problem with a Heli Coil. A few people in this thread have stated that sometimes people do a poor/crooked job of drilling out and tapping the hole. Big deal, people screw thins up all the time. Just because a few people do something poorly, that does NOT make the product they screwed up a bad one.
It's not about the heli coil, I don't think anyone's arguing it's not better than threaded aluminum. I think what the problem with people being hesitant about used parts that have heli coils is if it was done right. You can't tell from a pic most times and I've seen some pretty bad heli coil jobs where it was unfixable without welding it which I think is a big deal. And then there are those who are just so anal retentive that no matter how good the heli coil is it just ruins that str-12 intake now matter how nice it is.

-
Back