Why I dont drive Fords

-

Demon_Jeff_71

Banned
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine that I do alot of mechanical work for calls me up and tells me his rear end is clunking really bad. So I get it in the garage and open the case and the spider gears are gone and he cracked the carrier case. It was in a Ford 8.8inch rear. Just adds to another reason why I drive Mopar and not Chubby or Ford....

Post some reasons why you dont drive anything but Mopar. True die hard penestar blooded individuals. Also if you have some cools pictures of stuff that has broken post those too. I attached some pics of the spider gears.

Mopar Jeff

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

I used to be totaly against Fords also, In High school, i was a die hard Mopar guy, a friend and i would joke about the slow car ahead on us, and it usually was a Ford etc.

I have to admit one of the worst cars i ever owned was a 79 LTD, man that thing was total poop, but you couldnt kill it.

Two of the best cars (trucks) i ever owned was a 91 F150 4X4, it went 130,000 miles, never had a problem, it got totaled, I actualy T-Boned a 74 Chevy wagon that ran a red left turn light. It knew what to aim for.

I also have a 99 Ford Explorer, that the only problem it has ever had was a bad front wheel bearing, it has 105,000 on it. Just started a oil leak from somewhere, probably the main seal.

I gotta agree though that a lot of late 70's to late 80's Fords are garbage though, but who had a really good car in that era?

I like bashing Chevy's and Ford's. But it is just for fun. I own a 99 Ford F-250. It was a good deal so I picked it up. It has been a good truck for me. It has over 160,000 trouble free miles on it.

WhiteFord2.jpg

I recently sold my 93 Dodge Grand Caravan with 305k on it for $400.00. Still ran great, didn't smoke or leak. Paid $2,500 for it in 96 from the original owner with 164k on it. Even with the money I had to put in it I figure it cost me about $35 a month to own it over the last 12 years. Try that with a Ford.

Ironically enough the gears came out of a 92 F-150 4x4 pickup.........

Jeff

My GF put 327,000 on her 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe. It finally died of a blown headgasket, but the motor and trans hadn't been rebuilt, and the clutch and turbo were still the originals.

The one I bought for her last year has 140,000 on it. I picked it up and drove it home 2000 miles, and got about 30mpg out of it.

Its not that Mopar stuff is tough, its that they don't make enough power to break anything.

LOL!

:angry7:

I guess there are not enough die hard Mopar fans out there. I made the huge mistake of owning a Ford once when I bought my first vehicle be uase it was from a guy I worked for and it was a good deal. I completly destroyed the 9inch in my 71 ranger 360 c6 and like I said 9 inch. After having problem after problem after problem with it and nothing but problems from there on out I will never do it again. That and I have enough self respect not to own a chevy....

Mopar Jeff

hmmmmmmm,I got a ranger extra cab and a chevy dually extra cab.I was given the truck by my sister so thats why I have a ford and I needed extra cab for the racing thing so I traded my dodge utility bed 3/4 ton with a 360for the chevy dually with 350.My dodge would out pull it and out stop it but it didn't have the extra cab to haul the "squids"

I guess there are not enough die hard Mopar fans out there. I made the huge mistake of owning a Ford once when I bought my first vehicle be uase it was from a guy I worked for and it was a good deal. I completly destroyed the 9inch in my 71 ranger 360 c6 and like I said 9 inch. After having problem after problem after problem with it and nothing but problems from there on out I will never do it again. That and I have enough self respect not to own a chevy....

Mopar Jeff

Is this die hard enough for you:-D:-D

Well at least they circled the problem!

FordBlueOval2004.jpg

So he blew the rearend..geez,i guess thats never happened to a dodge truck huh??..i remember when the newer dodge trucks first came out,the frontends were just about falling out of them,and they were in the shop for transmission problems every week..say what you want about Fords but i'll NEVER own another brand of truck,my '01 is one of the best vehicles i've EVER owned..race Mopars and trailer them with Fords..:-D

I've owned Ford, GM and Mopar vehicles, they all have been very good vehicles and served me well. The best and most reliable by far was the 89 Ford Tempo we purchased new. My wife drove that past 160,000 miles and never did anything but maintenance. I gave it to my daughter for her first car and she drove it another two years until she banged up beyond repair.

The Ford 8.8 rear end is very strong. A buddy of mine ran one in his Mustang drag car until he got down into the 11's. When he built the 416 stroker sb for he figured it was also time to step on the rear and had Strange build him a 9" for it. BTW, that car has now dipped into the 9's.

we own a 2000 AU Ford Falcon,

It has been nothing but headaches.

Been through 3 transmissions within warranty, two diffs, they all started whining under warranty. Now its time for another trans and every 2000K's we need to change the ignition leads.

I bet that problem was caused by excessive clearance in the clutch pack. You have to shim them tight. I added one extra friction plate on each side in my mustangs 8.8 rear and shimmed it as tight as a I could. No more clunking and no more one wheel burn outs. If the rear was clunking and he kept driving it yes its going to break. Ford is real sloppy at the factory when it comes to shimming those rears. They just slap them together and send them out. They are a good rear when set up correctly and can take lots of abuse.

Read the news lately??Ford isn,t exactly at the bottom.Owner of 04 F-150 4x4 FX4,06 Fusion 4 cyl. 5 speed,73 Dart Sport 340,66 Dart 6 banger.I believe every brand has it,s own issues and all you can do is maintain them to the best of your ability.Anything mechanical will wear over time.Notice no imports!LOL!

july 038.jpg

'05 F-150 here - better than any car for a trip... but nowhere near the fun of my '68 Dart 340

.say what you want about Fords but i'll NEVER own another brand of truck,my '01 is one of the best vehicles i've EVER owned..race Mopars and trailer them with Fords..:-D

Amen. Assuming you're not talking about a 6.0 diesel (POS).

I've put over a million miles on Ford trucks and NEVER been stranded (better knock on wood after that). I did have to put an automatic transmission in a dually once, but it had 180,000 miles of hard work in it, so I don't consider that Ford's fault.

Sadly, I've got to switch to GM because Ford insisted on going with these horrible 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines. On the new Ford 3/4 ton diesel, you have to remove the cab to change the injectors (or do just about anything). 200+ bolts!!

has anyone heard of what ford is doing to the tailgates of their trucks in cold areas?

they are putting in heaters so that when you have to push them your hands dont get cold. :toothy10:

but every one that i know that has a ford or has had one had nothing but problems with them so i plan to stay away from them thats why i have a mopar.8)

To each his/her own..all i know is everytime i drive by the local Dodge dealer the service/repair area is overflowing with broken down trucks..:toothy10::toothy10:

thought of it when we had to push our teachers ford into the shop to fix it today. my teacher is a die hard ford guy and we havent had that many cars come in this year and everything else are his fords in our shop. when i counted last week we had 4 of his cars in the shop. he owns like 20 but only like 7 run and are legal on the street.

Ugh, had my 98 windstar strand my wife about 30 min from helen GA with a trans that wouldn't shift out of 1st.......1 week and $3600 later ( opted for a new rather than rebuilt trans) .....flash forward 18 months while we were visiting the mother-in-law the motor LOCKS up on Christmas day....1000miles from home.....didn't knock,tick or anything...just stopped like I turned the key off. Freaking hilarious guy at the ford dealer it was towed to to fix the trans said "well since it's paid for we can do the financing give you $1000 off a BRAND NEW windstar :) OH LUCKY ME :( anyway, after the motor seized (stuck #6 rod bearing) went to the nissan dealer UGH UGH because the wife HAD to have the quest ( it looks cool was the reason I was given ). In the 2 years I've owned it, it has had both front rotors and tires, driver side front wheel bearing and rear lift gate motor/mechanism replaced under warranty. Oh and 2 TSB's, one for the rear storage being 'full' of water.

Lets face it, it's called planned obsolescence but I'm not going to buy a new car every 3-5 yrs like the auto makers want me to.

Mopar didn't make a car after 1975 that I'd want to own, sad but true. The only real choice for an everyday car, rwd, v8, and affordable was a used '97 Crown Vic I bought in 2000. I've enjoyed it and plan to keep it. The taillights remind me of late-60's Dodge....kinda sorta...

-
Back