Why is engine stalling?

-

bakertodd

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some 411 on this. Car is a typical 440 `71 Duster implant. `74 low comp externally balanced engine w/ stock cam, stock heads, Holley 750 Dominator 2X pumper, Weiand high-rise intake mnfld, ProParts headers, MSD, 727 RMVB, 8 3/4 rear w/ 3:55 posi, 29 in. M/T ET Streets. New heads or port job and hotter cam to match setup in the future.....Converter the next thing on my list however; low stall factory unit (ballanced) in it now. Probably going w/ B&M Holeshot 2500-3000 unit w/ B&M flexplate to balance it, 3:91 gears too (opinions?). Mostly a cruiser but may head to Epping someday when engine mods are done. Problem is that the car will stall coming off the highway at the bottom of the off ramp. Highway cruising RPM 2500 @ 60 MPH. When this happens the engine struggles to turn over and restart. Unburned fuel in the cylinders causing the tough turnover? No problems w/ starter motor/ turnover/ startup any other time. Also a stalling problem in 1st at stoplight when the temp is below 180 or 190 degrees. Is the tight converter the problem or the mix? Or? Engine does need total tune for sure.....

Just off the top of my head it sounds too rich.
Have you chked the plugs yet?

Just off the top of my head it sounds too rich.
Have you chked the plugs yet?

Mix is probably rich. As I said this motor needs a thorough tune and new plugs def on the list. Were gapped recently. I`ll probably wait untill I have $$$ for new heads and cam before I do anything....BTW does anyone know if the Proparts headers will fit Eddy RPM`s w/o mods?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some 411 on this. Car is a typical 440 `71 Duster implant. `74 low comp externally balanced engine w/ stock cam, stock heads, Holley 750 Dominator 2X pumper, Weiand high-rise intake mnfld, ProParts headers, MSD, 727 RMVB, 8 3/4 rear w/ 3:55 posi, 29 in. M/T ET Streets. New heads or port job and hotter cam to match setup in the future.....Converter the next thing on my list however; low stall factory unit (ballanced) in it now. Probably going w/ B&M Holeshot 2500-3000 unit w/ B&M flexplate to balance it, 3:91 gears too (opinions?). Mostly a cruiser but may head to Epping someday when engine mods are done. Problem is that the car will stall coming off the highway at the bottom of the off ramp. Highway cruising RPM 2500 @ 60 MPH. When this happens the engine struggles to turn over and restart. Unburned fuel in the cylinders causing the tough turnover? No problems w/ starter motor/ turnover/ startup any other time. Also a stalling problem in 1st at stoplight when the temp is below 180 or 190 degrees. Is the tight converter the problem or the mix? Or? Engine does need total tune for sure.....
well first thing I would sell that intake and carb.thats way overkill for your motor you need a 780 vac.with a holley strip or an low plane intake with maybe a 1 inch spacer.and you don't need an MSD anything unless you're rich and don't know what to do with all your money! the stock dizzy will work very well with a spring kit in it.and I would use a mopar perf. cam only because I have had good luck with them.but Im sure there are others out there that are as good or maybe? better but I think the mopar cam will give more bang for your buck..and as far as converter I have used stock 340 ones behind the big block and stalled around 3000 and is very streetabl.do that with a good tune up (set plugs at 35)I think you will be very inprest with the out come with very little money spent.In facked what you can sell that intake and carb for will get you close to what you need and if you cheack with (rusty ratrod)he my be abull to fix you up with a good used carb,all these parts can be bought used in the for sale sec.just trying to help you with a cheap reliabl and inpresive ride.NOW that being said if you have LOTS of money:prayer:well now your talking a deferent ball game so its up to you witch way you go. tell us how much money you expect to spend and well help ya..............thanks for reading Artie

well first thing I would sell that intake and carb.thats way overkill for your motor you need a 780 vac.with a holley strip or an low plane intake with maybe a 1 inch spacer.and you don't need an MSD anything unless you're rich and don't know what to do with all your money! the stock dizzy will work very well with a spring kit in it.and I would use a mopar perf. cam only because I have had good luck with them.but Im sure there are others out there that are as good or maybe? better but I think the mopar cam will give more bang for your buck..and as far as converter I have used stock 340 ones behind the big block and stalled around 3000 and is very streetabl.do that with a good tune up (set plugs at 35)I think you will be very inprest with the out come with very little money spent.In facked what you can sell that intake and carb for will get you close to what you need and if you cheack with (rusty ratrod)he my be abull to fix you up with a good used carb,all these parts can be bought used in the for sale sec.just trying to help you with a cheap reliabl and inpresive ride.NOW that being said if you have LOTS of money:prayer:well now your talking a deferent ball game so its up to you witch way you go. tell us how much money you expect to spend and well help ya..............thanks for reading Artie

Thanks for the reply. I will have enough $ for upgrades to this motor; as I said heads (or port work on current heads) and cam coming but the carb, intake, and MSD ignition were on this motor when I bought it. Will said upgrades (cam and heads) be able to make if not optimum but acceptable use of my current setup? How about thinning the mix until the upgrades can be made?

Thanks for the reply. I will have enough $ for upgrades to this motor; as I said heads (or port work on current heads) and cam coming but the carb, intake, and MSD ignition were on this motor when I bought it. Will said upgrades (cam and heads) be able to make if not optimum but acceptable use of my current setup? How about thinning the mix until the upgrades can be made?
well youcould try it but I personly don't thing you can detune the carb.to work like you want as far as the heads pokect porting and gasket maching will work fine I have diped well into the10s with the factory heads ported and gaskit mached.the intake I think is over kill and If memory serves me it dosent start work tell the 3500 range and I think you whant one that's good off idel to 5500 rpms.Im sure other can tell you the rpm ranges of all these intakes or if you get in the sumitt or jags book they will tell you were all of them work well..Im willing to go out on a lemb and say this will be a good dependalb drive any were kind of car.that sould run in the nabor hood of the low 12 or evondip into the 11s.....Artie ps plese don't mind my speeling my speel check isn't working for sum reson???:banghead:

well youcould try it but I personly don't thing you can detune the carb.to work like you want as far as the heads pokect porting and gasket maching will work fine I have diped well into the10s with the factory heads ported and gaskit mached.the intake I think is over kill and If memory serves me it dosent start work tell the 3500 range and I think you whant one that's good off idel to 5500 rpms.Im sure other can tell you the rpm ranges of all these intakes or if you get in the sumitt or jags book they will tell you were all of them work well..Im willing to go out on a lemb and say this will be a good dependalb drive any were kind of car.that sould run in the nabor hood of the low 12 or evondip into the 11s.....Artie ps plese don't mind my speeling my speel check isn't working for sum reson???:banghead:

Thanks Artie, Spelling no problem. 11`s would be a gas!

-
Back