Why is Pro Stock Dodge down on horsepower ?

-
My theory is NHRA has a plan. I do not believe the plan of the future has Prostock in it. If they could kill the class now they would but still have obligations to racers and sponsors. I believe the long term plan will be factory stock racing. They are already promoting the class more than they ever have before. Cars will be back in the low 8s and high 7s with actual factory bodies. Challengers Comaros and Mustangs. The factories know pro stock has nothing resembling a stock car. They are no longer in the performance parts business so no upside to sponsoring cars that you can't sell. They would be happy to sell a Challenger to a guy after watching one race on Sunday though.

Wouldn't dismantling the current PS rules and re-establishing say, 1971 type guidelines w/the obvious equip/safety upgrades be better? Does a new Demon qualify?
What are current FS regs, a 2ton Chally has a lot of dieting to do..............................

My theory is NHRA has a plan. I do not believe the plan of the future has Prostock in it. If they could kill the class now they would but still have obligations to racers and sponsors. I believe the long term plan will be factory stock racing. They are already promoting the class more than they ever have before. Cars will be back in the low 8s and high 7s with actual factory bodies. Challengers Comaros and Mustangs. The factories know pro stock has nothing resembling a stock car. They are no longer in the performance parts business so no upside to sponsoring cars that you can't sell. They would be happy to sell a Challenger to a guy after watching one race on Sunday though.
This makes sense to me. Also, now they have Pro Mod for the folks that prefer wildly modified, super fast 'doorslammer' type cars.

Wouldn't dismantling the current PS rules and re-establishing say, 1971 type guidelines w/the obvious equip/safety upgrades be better? Does a new Demon qualify?
What are current FS regs, a 2ton Chally has a lot of dieting to do..............................
They already have drag pack Challengers competing. As far as revamping pro stock. I think NHRA may want to make a point that this is a different class aka not associated with 500 inch rear drive Dodge Dart.

Hmmm Very interesting...............I like it!!!
But i would still like P/S if we had a Dog in the Fight!!!!:mob: :D

Pro Mods are way cool, but i won't set my VCR (lol) to record them, Nitro cars are WAY COOOOOlive!!!! ONLY.

Plus by changing classes they don't have to justify why cars dropped 2 seconds at. in the quarter mile.

Pro Mods are way cool, but i won't set my VCR (lol) to record them, Nitro cars are WAY COOOOOlive!!!! ONLY
I love watching Pro Mods recorded, they're insane, for a car with doors! But I understand, it isn't for everyone. Nitro cars are cool, funny cars are my personal favorite, but the Pro classes get boring when the race is at the tree. The top teams run so close together it just gets old, to me. I love the noise, feel and smell associated with them, as I don't see them that often. Sadly, I hardly made it over to the Pro Stock pits in Brainerd this year. They separated the Nitro and Pro Stock cars some years back, and I'm mostly milling around the Nitro cars. I did get to see Randy Lynn Shipp at Bo Butner's trailer! :thumbsup: That Bo's a lucky fella.

CnQfvAiVYAAiqAr.jpg

She drives a C/SA Firebird....and her silence plate say..."You Got to Worship the Booty"

I'm the opposite, I rarely watch the Nitro cars, I for one prefer Pro Stock where a race is won by the thousandths. When I go to the Gatornationals, I go on Thursday and Friday to watch the sportsman classes and first rounds of Pro Qualifying. Saturday and Sunday I watch on TV.

remember when they killed the prostock trucks, just after the guys that raced them, got them running great, and had tons of money in them?

Bob Pennella and Nickens Brother's Racing were pretty pissed... Got hung out to dry hard on that deal....

Personally I find pro level drag racing less interesting than watching grass grow. I do however appreciate the work and technology that is behind it. Drag racing fans always have wild conspiracy theories. Here's the truth with prostock... it's completely frigging irrelevant! Wildly morphed bodies, irrelevant engines, ect.

I'm a circle track guy. There's a reason why sanctioning bodies makes us switch bodies, change to fuel injection, ect. Without manufacturer backing, ect there is no prolevel racing plain and simple. And having been involved in prolevel racing for 3 generations I can tell you that no sanctioning body favors one brand over another. That's fan BS that gets thrown around in the stands.

Personally I find pro level drag racing less interesting than watching grass grow. I do however appreciate the work and technology that is behind it. Drag racing fans always have wild conspiracy theories. Here's the truth with prostock... it's completely frigging irrelevant! Wildly morphed bodies, irrelevant engines, ect.

I'm a circle track guy. There's a reason why sanctioning bodies makes us switch bodies, change to fuel injection, ect. Without manufacturer backing, ect there is no prolevel racing plain and simple. And having been involved in prolevel racing for 3 generations I can tell you that no sanctioning body favors one brand over another. That's fan BS that gets thrown around in the stands.
-------------------------
I for one disagree all the way. Why did nascar and nhra kill the hemi`s ? bill Jenkins couldn`t handle sox-martin, the nhra put 600 pounds on the hemi, and wally parks even admitted it later >nascar did the same thing they killed them by the cubic inch rule. As far as poundy round and dirt squirter racing, why build something that is going to look like a piece of junk in two weeks ?! Yeah, I DON`T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT TOP FUEL , OR FUNNY CAR EITHER.!

-------------------------
I for one disagree all the way. Why did nascar and nhra kill the hemi`s ? bill Jenkins couldn`t handle sox-martin, the nhra put 600 pounds on the hemi, and wally parks even admitted it later >nascar did the same thing they killed them by the cubic inch rule. As far as poundy round and dirt squirter racing, why build something that is going to look like a piece of junk in two weeks ?! Yeah, I DON`T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT TOP FUEL , OR FUNNY CAR EITHER.!
The hemi isn't the only thing to ever be banned. Ford and GM have had their share too. Concessions are made all the time to keep things level. You can't only look at what's been taken...you also have to look at what's been given.

The largest gift ever given in the history of Motorsports was given to Mopar. The R/W motors. It's the only thing that has kept Mopar competing for decades. It's a friggin Chevy engine!

I read in a magazine a long time ago that the president of NHRA said he wanted a Ford and a Chevy in the final round on Sunday not a Dodge.

I read in a magazine a long time ago that the president of NHRA said he wanted a Ford and a Chevy in the final round on Sunday not a Dodge.
Not surprising at all, they want to put on a good show. Ford and Chevy have been a huge part of Motorsports for well over half a century. Mopar's sporadic involvement has been lack luster at best. A sanctioning body wants as many manufacturers as possible involved to attract more fans. Many concessions have been made to keep Mopars involved yet Mopar corporate is it's own enemy. We'd love to have Mopars come play in the sand box (and the hand has been extended and bitten many times). Hell even Toyota knows how to play nice with the big boys.

Not surprising at all, they want to put on a good show. Ford and Chevy have been a huge part of Motorsports for well over half a century. Mopar's sporadic involvement has been lack luster at best. A sanctioning body wants as many manufacturers as possible involved to attract more fans. Many concessions have been made to keep Mopars involved yet Mopar corporate is it's own enemy. We'd love to have Mopars come play in the sand box (and the hand has been extended and bitten many times). Hell even Toyota knows how to play nice with the big boys.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you guys remember when the nascar trucks first got going? the dodge truck teams took longer to get going, but eventually started dominating, kicking everyones ***, so Toyota comes along and bought out "every" dodge team but one = also ran, he hasn`t done squat, and may not even be racing now. I don`t watch the trucks either. Watching fuel cars on tv is like watching weeds grow -to me, much the same as pro Camaro, not anything u can buy. Nascar cars all look the same w/o paint and decals, no interest there what so ever!

-
Back