Why LH thread lug nuts?

-
I thought some actual test results would be nice and not derail the other thread more.

I think it is more fun to remember all the trouble non-mopar guys had replacing the broken wheel studs in the front brake drums.

I think it is more fun to remember all the trouble non-mopar guys had replacing the broken wheel studs in the front brake drums.

Yeah, when my dad and I brought the barracuda home we took the wheels off to pressure wash the wells. I knew about the left hand thread mess but we took the rears of first. The rear axle had been converted so I didn't mention it to the old man assuming the front had been too. A couple minutes later I hear grunting and cussing... Lol

man, I wish I could find that video of the test's they did
seen it on youtube a couple years ago, but can't find it now

Whether or not it is substantiated on ay testing aside. As we know the other cars out there, the majority, don't have this and aren't loosing wheels!

All of the big three have done some odd ball stuff through the years that really doesn't make sense. I suspect it is either money driven or engineers feeling creative..

It wasn't just Chrysler that used LH lug nuts. Many cars in the 60's & 70's did, including Japanese. Check Tire Rack's tables. My 1978 Hi-Lo trailer has LH wheel bolts on one side. It probably went away because it was too complicated for owners and tire stores. Indeed I snapped a wheel stud off on my 69 Dart when I was a dumF kid, as my dad laughed that I didn't know about LH threads. Today you must be extremely vigilant if you still have LH threads and let a tire monkey touch your car (I don't).

Prior to me knowing this LH thread deal I scored a 8 3/4 from the junk yars and thought the lugs were frozen. I cut them all off, lol

They could have made them all left handed and they would work. In fact I suppose lefty tighty could be the norm if they wanted. Who knows.

-
Back