Why Mopar

-
Kinda long post here, sorry

My whole family has always been into Mopars. My grandfathers first car was a 27 plymouth, then I heard he had a 34 Plymouth, then for some reason he switched to Buick/Olds. I remember a 67 and a 68 LeSabre and a 88 Cutlass.

My father has always had mopars. His first car was a 55 Dodge Winsor, then he bought a 64 Custom 880 brand new, then a 68 Custom Sportsman A108 van. Sister had a 76 Valiant and now has a 96 Plymouth Voyager.

When I started driving he gave me the 880 and they bought a 1984 Dodge 400, when he retired in 95 he bought a brand new Chrysler LXi, cash, the salesman was happy that day.

In 89 I was gonna move to Ca, for a job and he sold the 880(worst day of my life) and bought me a 78 Chrylser LeBaron. Drove the Lebaron for 4 years, sold it when i got laid off and moved back.

I had to have a car for a job i got when i moved back, so I bought a 79 Ford LTD. The absolute worst car ever.

One day I was working and looked up and a 880 was going down the street, turns out it was mine, i taked to the guy a few days later, he had completely restored it, said he would sell it back for $3000, I didnt have it.

I found a 1965 Custom 880 and drove it for a while. A truly evil looking car, 2 door, black with red interior. I tinted the windows, put 205/50/15s on it with chrome reverse wheels and turned the torsion bars down a bit, lowered the rear a bit. put a couple of chambered pipes on it, sounded awsome

I found a 67 Satellite after that. original 383/727/2.92. saved it from a life of drag racing. Had the engine rebuilt, told the guy i wanted 400hp out of it, i think it had more. Shut a brand new Mustang Cobra down in a freeway race, dont know how fast i was going. Really fast i think.

Needed money so i sold it to a guy who had one and lost it to a drunk driver.

Had a Ford ZX2, traded it in on a PT Cruiser, couldnt find anything worthwhile that i wanted or could afford around here, untill my awsome wife found a 71 Plymouth Scamp for my birthday. First slant 6 i have owned, there may be a V8 in its future.

Cruising down th eroad one day, saw a 79 Monte Carlo for sale, bought it for my son, YACK, what was i thinking?
Sorry for the long post.

Cause Fords stink, they are made crapy and cheap. GM is better but still not as strong as Mopars. Thats why up untill Mopar stop making rear wheel drive cars the police depts. all mostly got mopars. GM's had coil springs in back. Mopars had leaf springs, coil springs give a softer ride but are not as strong. Same with the motors and trans. The bumpers were made better too. Look at the mid. to late 70's GM and Ford bumpers, they all are rusty if they are stock, Mopar bumpers still look good on most cars. They cast the motor blocks better as well. AS for the other car makers, I will only buy cars that were made by UAW workers, so its just GM, Ford and Chrysler cars that I would ever own.

For me it was simple good timing, Dad bought a new 73' Duster when I was 5 (a good impressionable age) and I've had one since. Unfortuneatly that car went to Donor car status when I was hit in the 1/4 by a drunk driver. Not to worry though the "new" car is allmost ready.
:headbang:

I grew up in a chevy family. I had my first tast of a Mopar in
my cousins' 64 Sport Fury. It was a big block, don't know what.
But it was fast. I was 9 or10 yrs old. The next time was in
another cousins 70 GTX 440,4spd. And it was Lime green. I was
hooked. My first car was a chevy that my dad picked out for me.
My second was a 71 Duster Twister. Sassy grass green. I've had
a few brand X cars over the years due to financial reasons. But
for the last 20 yrs it's been only Mopar.

Hard to say why I changed over. My brother has 2 Novas, and my other brother has a 1970 Camaro. I like all those cars. My dad never owned a Mopar muscle car, just a 67 Impala SS. I really got into old cars when I was around 15. But, I liked them all. Not just Mopar, but GM, AMC, and dare I say Fords. They all made great cars during that era. Also when I was 15, I got to ride in a original 66 GTO Tri-Power and the power was unreal. I loved it. I really got into the 69 Camaros at age 16 and wanted nothing else but one. I would always go to shows and notice how almost everything was either a Camaro, Chevelle, or a Mustang. Novas would show up every now and then. I always seemed to enjoy looking at the Mopars more than anything because I didn't see them as often. They are much more unique. Who would have thought a company would name a car after a cartoon. (Roadrunner, Demon, Duster) They were all unique. The colors, air grabber hoods, bold graphics, etc. I liked every Mopar. A few months before I turned 18 I spotted a 72 Slant 6 Duster near my house. Needed a little work, but was great for the money. Test drove it and loved it. Called him a couple days later and someone bought it that afternoon. I couldn't believe it. I knew from that moment on I had to have either an A-Body Mopar or an AMC (Becasue I love AMC) Then in late April, 2006 I spotted an ad off www.cctol.com for a 74 Duster 318 about an hour away. No one would drive me up to look at it. There was no picture. So me and a good friend of mine went up after school. I was hooked on it. Was a great deal for $2,000. Since it was May 2 (One day after I turned 18) it was legal for me to buy a car. I wasn't going to let this one get away. I left a $50 deposit and we picked it up that weekend. One day after I got my drivers license. Quite shocking when i got home and told my parents I basically just bought a car. They thought I was only going up to look at it. It is my first car and I love it. Right now it is getting a minor restoration. My daily driver is a 1992 Sundance Duster in excellent condition. Everyone always says they wish they kept their old car. Thats why I am never selling my 74 Duster. Eventhough I like all old cars (And I mean every one of them) Mopar will always come first.

In my lifetime

1947 Plymouth Coupe bought the year I was born

1954 Plymouth Belvedere 3 spd on column. I actually learned how to drive on this tank

1964 Dart GT hipo Took my drivers test on this when I was 16.

1973 Dodge Charger SE 318 buckets auto on column.

My Dad died in 1975 at the young age of 64 and left me the Charger.

I already had a 69 Dart GT 4spd and then a 72 340 Demon torqueflite.

My oldest son has an Avenger

My Daughter has my wifes former 1996 JEEP

Then I went into a long brain freeze with a bunch of 79-96cadillacs

Mitsubuishi Eclipse turbo (Sort of counts as a MOPAR since Chrysler had a collaboration with Mitsu and the car was built in the Normal Ill plant with the Chryslers.

Then I got a 99 Chrysler 300M
Then (hiccup) 2002 Acura 3.2CL Coupe Type S

THEN BACK ON THE MOPAR RESERVATION
2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo
and finally
1969 Dodge Dart GTS 440 (Sept 2006-Built 3/14/69)

(Wife is another story. She likes the Acura MDX so she has had three of them already including the 2006 now) But SHE DOESN'T COUNT right??

Chas

I was born in 61. My dad bought a new 63 383 Belvedere and raced our family car. Although I have strayed a little over the years(fords) its nice to be back home. 1974 & earlier, it's MOPAR OR NO CAR.

Why Mopar? I blew up my parental hand me down, 1980 Mazda 626, when I was 17 (July 1990). The only other "spare" vehicle in the family was a '77 Dodge Tradesman 200 van. I used to do the basic stuff (oil changes, tune ups) to it in high school auto shop. I couldn't figure out at the time why everybody referred to it as a "Mopar". It was the only one in the class. Everybody there was GM or Ford. I found out what kind of burnouts I could do and was hooked. I subscribed to musclecar review to learn more about muscle cars in general. I thought that magazine was unbiased, but as I read more and more about hemis in top fuel, NASCAR discriminating against hemi cars, 6 packs, it was obvious that Mopars always had the horsepower advantage, or at least paved the way. Went on to own a 340 Challenger, 318 Dart Sport, 318 Dakota Sport and the Duster I have today. My friends and family were not into cars. I had to learn on my own. And since then, I have been slowly turning them one by one into Mopar people! :headbang:

i have two stories...
i am 18 now but when i was seven or so my dad and i were set up to do a muscle car show in the convention center of my hometown in here in texas (he owns a t-shirt and graphic customization company). we were set up in front of a B5 blue roadrunner... and i couldnt take my eyes off of that car the entire 6 hours we were there. from that moment on a was hooked. i was still obsessed with roadrunners and such until a trip my brother and i took to visit my aunt and uncle. it was the summer of '05 when were working out in my uncle's garage and i noticed a B-body's roofline in the driveway across the street and those unmistakable '68-'70 charger body lines. turns out its a '70 charger 500 in great driver's shape! but i wont say too much else cuz im still trying to convince the guy to sell it to me!! but every since that day though ive been obsessed with not only roadrunners but chargers, darts, demons, and all mopars in general. my daily driver is a '91 dodge pickup that has been in my family for the last 14 years. 318 TBI setup being upgraded to a hot little setup 360 this spring. mopar or no car. dig.

172668670.jpg

^^ thats the charger that got me hooked

211771696.jpg

^^ thats my truck, "blue". my dad give it to me and ill give it to my son some day

The Dukes of Hazzard hooked me when I was very young. I spent a long time trying to get '69 Charger and finally did (it's currently under construction but not gonna be a General Lee clone). I've owned SEVERAL Rams and now that I just got my '71 Dart, I've got the Mopar Fever bad!

when I cam to Arkansas to meet my fother I was driving a snow drift jumpin 71 XL ford.
At spring that same year sold the furd and picked up a mavrick to get to work and back,on the side I pict up a 550fourK honda.I still miss the honda.
sold the ford and the bike and picked up a sweet 1970 318 barracuda in 1980.
Have not looked back since.I have owned 3 dodge truck's 1 340 4 speed rally challinger,
2 auto 318 72 and 73 challenger's,1 grand coup 71 barracuda 383 auto car with ruber bumper fact!these car's was very easy for me to work on.I have had a few more mopar's but did not get them on the road,I worker constrution and sold them for the wife and kid's. If I could have been like
a lot of yall I would have keeped them :banghead:
But I sill have memeries :headbang:

merkel1.jpg

My dad always had a mopar.In 1971 he bought a 69 furry three in Frankfurt Germany ans we drove all over western europe pulling a Alpine Swizter pop up camper.1974 we moved to Bunker Hill IN.The first day we moved there this punk with a new z-28 full of girls challanged pop at a red light.He said "dont tell your mom"and the light changed and I looked to the rear of the car to see what happened to the Z-28.Any how my first car was a 70 Newport and a second was a 72 challanger.now I have a camaro but am trying to sell it to buy this 70 dart to build a w-5 headed 360 with a ps2 procharger.I like all types of cars,they all are cool but everyone owns a 5.slow or a slomaro.When I got back into hot rods after a trade off ,I wanted a mopar or a pontiac but found the 71 camaro.After getting back into racing I have met this old Mopar Dude who is very up and knows mopars like the back of his hand.So if I sell my Camaro,Ill get started on this dart.

my dad used to drag race and street race the 2 1970 roadrunners he owned.

mom owned a challenger.. dunno the year off hand...

these were before I was born.

Grew up watching the dukes of hazzard.

When I was in my early teens my big brother bought his first car, a 69 charger pulled out of the woods that was barely in the condition to be called a parts car, but we worked on it. Then he bought his second car, one of them fat bodied Plymouth Satellites, a 4 door that was owned by our grandmother.

Then he bought his third car... a 68 Charger with a 383, 4 speed, hurst shifter... that was the deal sealer.

my first mopar was a 94 ram 1500 pickup, nearly 10 years old by the time it was mine. Gave it up when i made a career change, drove a barely alive 1970 ford f 100 until I got my two current mopars, a 69 and a 68 dart.

-
Back