Why should I not go to an 8.8 rear?

-

txbullets

Reaction score
So here is my dilemma. I have an A body 8.75 rear and 489 sure grip that I bought for my dart build. Come to find out the pumpkin has 4.56 gears. Now I have read the entire thread about the swap out to 8.8 off an exploder. I like this idea because it gives me the BBP and disc brakes along with the exact gear I want for under $300. The disc on the rear was not in the OG build plans but would be nice. If I use the 8.8 I could sell the 8.75 and use that money for other stuff I need. I am not 100% oppose to keeping the 8.75 but the 8.8 is starting to make a lot more sense.

My question is, aside from the fact that I am putting ford on a MOPAR, what would be other reasons not to go with the 8.8?

FWIW the car is a 72 dart and I am putting a 340 with x heads. Stock stroke, xe268 cam, headers, air gapped intake and 750dp carb.

The 8.8 weighs about #70 more than a 8 3/4 and has the funky rear entry C clip axles. Other than that, its a good swap. mod and bolt up with out welding the pads on, turn axle on loose bolts to match pinion angle needed then tack pads. Remove and finish welds. bank the $500 you made in the flip.....

-
Back