Why The Barracuda Deserves A Second Chance

-
after seeing them bring back the dodge monaco and calling it a charger, and the dodge neon and calling it a dart, i'd just as rather they dont defame any of our plymouths

after seeing them bring back the dodge monaco and calling it a charger, and the dodge neon and calling it a dart, i'd just as rather they dont defame any of our plymouths

My only thoughts are I would like to see the Plymouth brand brought back.
With two reservations.
It's now Fiat with no Pentastar. And I would only hope that they would make cars worthy of the brand's history.
Think "Business Coupe" to Road Runner.

I would only hope that they would make cars worthy of the brand's history.

and they wouldnt
that was my point by bringing up those two other "classic cars"
although they did a decent job at bringing back the challenger (not in the same price bracket as its name sake though) , they totally missed the mark with the dart and the charger

on a side note, fiat operates in a market where there already is an unsightly ugly heaping blob of an suv badged as a duster, so at least we know they will not tarnish that name (of course, Ma Mopar did that herself in the 90s)

and they wouldnt
that was my point by bringing up those two other "classic cars"
although they did a decent job at bringing back the challenger (not in the same price bracket as its name sake though) , they totally missed the mark with the dart and the charger

on a side note, fiat operates in a market where there already is an unsightly ugly heaping blob of an suv badged as a duster, so at least we know they will not tarnish that name (of course, Ma Mopar did that herself in the 90s)
They already made a SUV Duster, the Trail Duster! ;)

I luv Chip Foose's rendering // make it a v10 hellcat Hemi cuda convertible in pink panther and call me a , Pus_y !

cuda.jpg

I luv Chip Foose's rendering // make it a v10 hellcat Hemi cuda convertible in pink panther and call me a , Pus_y !

View attachment 1714992130

As much as I like and respect Chip Foose and his work, as a production car I am not all that impressed. My personal opinion would be something more like this...

2008-Concept-Cuda-Sale-12.jpg

2017-Dodge-Barracuda-Rear.jpg

Maybe this... (though it is a bit far from the 60s Barracuda Abody)
2015-Dodge-Barracuda-Concept.jpg

Also keep in mind the ones shown are much larger than the original A body. If dodge/Plymouth was to bring back the cuda, it really should be in the neon platform. Which could be kind of kiler, something the size of a neon with a Hellcat engine. Sign me up.

even if you use the challenger platform I would still make it the only convertible available // ford did a great job incorporating cues from 67 and mopar did copy cues of a 67 barracuda a body with their led tail light treatment on the /charger and challenger and in my opinion the neon taillights kinda look like the roadrunners

Last edited:
I was thinking about this on my drive home from work, in my 1968 BARRACUDA (not a 'cuda dammit!). They already have a modern looking E body. I would love to see a modern A body. Front engine, rear drive, four seat, two door coupe. Make it a fastback hatchback if needed. They still have the 5.9 Magnum, right? Call the damn thing a 360, not a 5.9. Modern A body, modern LA engine. If not a Barracuda or Devilfish (not a 'cuda), and since it's DODGE and not PLYMOUTH, a new Dodge DEMON!

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work, in my 1968 BARRACUDA (not a 'cuda dammit!). They already have a modern looking E body. I would love to see a modern A body. Front engine, rear drive, four seat, two door coupe. Make it a fastback hatchback if needed. They still have the 5.9 Magnum, right? Call the damn thing a 360, not a 5.9. Modern A body, modern LA engine. If not a Barracuda or Devilfish (not a 'cuda), and since it's DODGE and not PLYMOUTH, a new Dodge DEMON!

x2

Keep in mind, if we don't give it a cool name like Barracuda, Dodge could re use the DART or Duster name sake. Not too sure about the demon name. Anyways, think of the logos and marketing gimmic's.

My vote for the Barracuda.

John
Restoring a 69 Ply Barracuda fastback

ok chevy had the mako shark vette// new name old cues with no trade mark issues (hammerhead) (hammer-v10 hellcat 1000hp like the mustang)(head -hemi and the feeling of your head smashing the headrest)as you help spin the world faster

A little off-track, but;
I'd like to see a 1st gen Durango scaled down to about a 100"wb. Quad seating,suicide doors,and a hatch.Don't care about the powertrain, I just always liked the look of that beast; but couldn't justify the atrocious fuel mileage they got.OK maybe suicide doors is a bit much on a 100"wb.
I think the 3.5 pentastar would be a good choice, and of course RWD.Oo,I'm almost getting goose-bumps!

Last edited:

Seems like a good idea to me. Downsize the car and put a monster motor in it.
I don't know how sales of the Challenger are going. But I they surround me everyday on the interstate.
The bean counters and marketing gurus would have to decide if a comparable Barracuda would eat into the Challenger sales.
Is there still room in the world for a Camaro/Firebird, Mustang/Cougar, Challenger....wait there is no longer a Plymouth line.
Your idea has merit to me.
I was thinking earlier that they might just create an new crummy econobox based on what ever platform parts are available and stick Barracuda on it.
It;s all about money to business.
And there at those government regulations to work with. I was just reading the history of Morgan cars.
Sounds like a nightmare to even get them into the US market over the years.

Is there still room in the world for a Camaro/defunct, Mustang/defunct, Challenger....wait there is no longer a Plymouth line.

i think you just answered your own question

now, if they were to bring the be barracuda as an A body (and it may very well be an econobox, after all, isnt the definition of a muscle car no option other then the biggest possible motor?) then it wouldnt compete with the challenger, but take the spot of the dodge neon

the only thing is that old demon issue , evil is could be felt like a threat of some kind old shevy n furd lov'rs , and the jap cars too . just think wildly about wicked twisted horse power , and we can be on the same page , lol !

I just hope they are smart enough to NOT make it a 4 door car. I am still not happy with having 4 door chargers. A modified Challenger platform would be OK, but I DO mean modified. We don't need a Dodge Challenger with a Cuda name plate on it.

Plymouth's dead. Let it stay dead. They'd bring it back as a 4 door or as a Fiat POS. Leave it be.

-
Back