Why were the wagons banned?

-
Since the subject is A bodies discontinued after the 1966 model year, you may as well also consider that Valiant 2 door pillarless hardtops and convertibles were discontinued after '66. In 67 Plymouth moved the hardtop and convertible A bodies over to the Barracuda line to accompany the fastback and compete model for model with the Mustang. Similar things were going on at Ford and GM. Falcon hardtops were discontinued after 65 leaving only sedans, and for 68, hardtops were dropped from the Chevy II Nova line so as not to compete with the Camaro.
But, in Mexico, Plymouth buyers still only got the Barracuda as a fastback. The 2 door pillarless hardtop was still a popular enough body style for Chrysler to offer a hardtop on the redesigned 67-69 Valiant body. That Mexican hardtop Valiant would be another unique A body to have in the U.S. or elsewhere.

valiant hardtop.jpg
valiant hardtop 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the near derailment. Getting back on track...
Did you see something to suggest they were actually 'banned'? To me that saying some governing body stopped production. Or, just asking why they stopped making them?

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker :/ . I meant why they abolished the wagon, no longer produced it. One would then switch to the larger Belvedere.

I do not like that SA Valiant, its a fake, that's a Dart body line!!

I do not like that SA Valiant, its a fake, that's a Dart body line!!

Well no. Not a fake. There was political and financial pressure on auto makers in Australia to have as much local content as possible. So while the A body was redesigned for the US market for 67, there was also a redesign of the Australian A body with much more local content than previous models. Because the cowl, windshield and front doors were interchangable on US Darts and Valiants, it was decided to do the same on the Australian built 1967 A body redesign. By using the front doors, windshield and cowl of the American A bodies, they could save tooling costs up front on first year models by using the US Dart front end for the Valiant in Australia. Within a year, they had their own unique tooling for the front end as well. On the Australian Valiants, the similarity to any US built Darts or Valiants ended with the front doors, cowl and windshield. The roof, rear doors and the rest of the unibody were distinctly Australian on both sedans and wagons. Meanwhile, in South Africa, local content wasn't a priority. Valiant and Dart sedans that were assembled there, were virtually identical to the US versions except for the right hand drive. But, they also assembled Valiant wagons in South Africa using body shells imported from Australia. Again, since the front doors cowls and windshields were shared with US Valiants and Darts, they could use either front end on the wagon body. Since the wagon was in the Valiant line, they used the front end that matched the US style Valiant sedans that were assembled there. So, its a real Chrysler designed 67 and up A body wagon and is the only A body wagon Chrysler produced for that generation of A bodies. All were branded as Valiants in Australia, South Africa and in New Zealand. Incidentally, the tail lights on those late 60's wagons look alot more like 67 Barracuda tail lights than 67 Dart tail lights, and the rear doors (body line and all) are not interchangable with any U.S. built Dart or Valiant. So no, its not a fake, and is actually very likely the wagon we would have seen in the US if the decision was made to continue the A body wagons past 1966. Keep in mind that all the US built 63-66 Valiant and Dart wagons used the same body shell with only the tail lights and front end sheet metal as the difference between the Plymouth and the Dodge. There is no reason to think that Chrysler would have given any A body wagons their own unique sheet metal. By 68, all B body Dodge and Plymouth wagons shared all the same body panels from the cowl back, and that trend was repeated with the redesigned C body wagons in 69.

Last edited:
I didn’t literally mean it’s a fake, just that it has the Dart pot belly like a Scamp, instead of the kick down like a Valiant. I’m talking USDM of course

The version I alway wished they made for the US is the “Valiantero”. Not the square back cab like they did south of the equator on A bodies. Maybe after I retire I will chop up a 4 dr and build one. I think it would be cool as hell.

EE552F67-0FF6-4424-9DF3-4959CE242056.jpeg

Chrysler never made a sedan delivery like Ford did with their 65 Falcon or as I just discovered, Chevrolet did with their 66 full size Biscayne! So I decided to do a 1 of none 65 Dart sedan delivery.

C876DC63-82A6-4B93-9E1D-CCAD3047676E.jpeg

No portholes like they did in the late 70’s Pinto version!

F8BCE3B2-AD87-4C57-A55A-2582B358C88B.jpeg

The version I alway wished they made for the US is the “Valiantero”. Not the square back cab like they did south of the equator on A bodies. Maybe after I retire I will chop up a 4 dr and build one. I think it would be cool as hell.

View attachment 1715425723

I like that.. it looks like a 64/67 Malibu El Camino, till you get to the taillights.

Last edited:

View attachment 1715425723
I’ve got a 72 valiant 4 door that I seriously considered doing this with but I’ve got too many projects and decided to part the car instead.

Looks and feels legit...I really want to do this one day. I took a bunch of measurements from my ‘69 GTS to create this render. The bed would be just about 6’ long.

37A0DA62-F8AF-45D5-A767-FE2825DFCAC5.jpeg

-
Back