why would this happen

-

71dustar

Reaction score
I just hooked up my gerotor fuel pump and i wanted to see if all the connections were good so i turn on the ignition and the ss braided line got really hot. there is no fuel in the system. part of the fuel line was touching the frame and it seems as if there might be voltage running through the braid and shorting to the frame causing the line to get hot.

Any reason why this is happening? could it be as easy as i dont have a ground strap for engine to frame yet?

In need of a serious ground. Motor to frame, pump to body/frame, ignition box to clean ground also. Ground lead is often the cause of many gremlins.

U got a meter? If so meter the braid to ground. It should be zero.

You have multiple issues there. First, the ground strap is missing and the braided hose is providing a ground path between the engine and the frame. That gives the sign that there is a problem between the hose and battery +, and that's why it got hot.

Second, and more important, the hose got "hot" which is an indicator of a direct short to the battery. Since the hose got hot between the engine and the frame, it tells you that there is a short from battery + to the engine that powered the issue above. When everything is set up properly the ground strap should just be protecting the system and is should not carry signigicant current.

Better get out the meter and check all of the battery + wiring at the engine to see where the short circuit connection is located or your problem will just follow the path of least resistance and could easily start a fire.

hydro said it, its also a damn good thing there was no fuel in those lines, that coulda been a disaster

i feel really stupid. i forgot to hook the battery cable back to the starter since i was installing the headers. because it was just barely touching the engine block it was trying to make a ground causing a big draw on the battery (saw with meter). so now i'm all good. good thing like you said that there was no fuel in the lines.

That would be the cause of the problem! Good to hear it was easy to find.

Good stuff Hydro:cheers: That's why I like this site so much. Lots of good people ready to share and help:cheers:

If it's a rotary pump, you can burn it up without any fuel passing through it to do the cooling. As far as a fire threat....not likely unless the fuel was leaking on the outside of the pump/lines. It takes oxygen for fuel to burn. heat/spark alone won't do it.
Mark

-
Back