Wide ratio 904...good vs. bad idea

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
The car: 72 Valiant, w/ 225, when finished the engine will be warmed over, but not a fire breather...

The goal: Get a little more "get up + go" without killing drivability...

The idea: Change gear ratios...the rear is 2.76, so keep that or change to 2.96 or 3.23, and a wide ratio trans.

The questions: Should I put a low first gear into the 904 I have, or get wide ratio trans, or none of the above because it's a stupid idea?

Your thinking too much, there are no stupid ideas, it's your car. It's not a big deal, adding low gear set to a 904 is like stepping up 1 ratio out back. It should help with the seat of the pants, I like mine.

The only real downside to the lower first gear ratio is the car can tend to lug due to the greater gap between first and second if the engine is weak. I noticed that on my 1981 Chrysler Cordoba (stock 318-2 smog motor) but it was still noticeably peppier than the 1980 Cordoba without the lower gear. Especially on a warmed over torquey slant 6, I'd say go for it.

What about passing gear? Will a 1.54 2nd gear be to low at highway speed with 2.76 or numerically higher rear?

Can you drive the car? Do you have a tachometer? You can calculate it that way with that tool. Plug in your numbers and adjust the efficiency till you meet the RPMs you actually turn at the speed you test it at. Make sure all your tires are equally filled.

Can you drive the car? Do you have a tachometer? You can calculate it that way with that tool. Plug in your numbers and adjust the efficiency till you meet the RPMs you actually turn at the speed you test it at. Make sure all your tires are equally filled.

good idea

-
Back