Wideband

-
This is where some find the Edelbrock carb is a good fit.Using their guide it is very easy to tune each circuit seperately.
Having said that i found it impossible to clean up the idle on larger cammed engines...they just seem to create too much uburnt fuel at lower rpms.
...maybe it's me?
It's not just you - lots of people do. It gets easier as you understand what and why.
In the situation here, the OP is not going to be able to get a decently rich mix at idle to fire cleanly unless he changes the timing. Its not just the amount of fuel allowed in, its also how much heat is available in the chamber to convert the fuel droplets into a gas (think vapor) that will burn. Not enough heat, the burn will be incomplete. With locked timing, may be able to get it a little richer at idle, but I don't think he'll be able to get it into real sweet spot.
Other reasons it can be difficult Crackedback covered above.
Important thing to follow a strategy to understand what is going on.
Drive on a flat road and slowly increase your speed, start at 1500 and roll there, then go up to 1750, 2000 and so on. Observe the reading. There should be a point where the numbers drop.

You need to find the point on cruise where the main jets activate. Doing this will allow you to make adjustments to the correct circuit.

Last edited:
I switched to a fuel which im going to run from now on and I’m not going to get into that lol, and went out for some testing. So I’m about 13-13.5 idle(1100-1150rpm), at 1500-1700rpm it’s about 12-12.5, 2000rpm 11:1, 2500-3000 10.5:1
Wot 12.8
Idle screws 1 turn out 76 jets front 88 rear
4.5pv front, blocked off rear
High speed bleeds 36(stock)
Idle bleeds 70(stock)
Idle feed restrictors 35(stock)

If you want to help your gas mileage at cruise you need to go smaller jets on the primaries until you get the cruise in the 14s. This will most likely make your WOT too lean so you'll need to enlarge the power valve channel restrictions. This is what I had to do on mine anyway. Mine is now in the mid 14s at idle, cruise, part throttle but 12.5 WOT.

If you want to help your gas mileage at cruise you need to go smaller jets on the primaries until you get the cruise in the 14s. This will most likely make your WOT too lean so you'll need to enlarge the power valve channel restrictions. This is what I had to do on mine anyway. Mine is now in the mid 14s at idle, cruise, part throttle but 12.5 WOT.
Generally, yes. But it will depend on the engine and gearing. Based on what he's posted, the carb may be mostly on the idle circuit. On my car, main circuit doesn't dominate the idle circuit until close to 65 mph cruise. Thats when the load is enough that throttle is open just enough more etc.

Stoich is not the most efficient or least polluting, its simply chemically balanced.

i wouldn't think "gas" + whatever is in it today, is stoich at 14.7:1 even if its E0 let alone E10.

slightly OT: when i was commuting 3300miles/month i shifted the AFR on my 2.0 breeze to 16.8:1 for about 3-4MPG improvement. I would lean out the closed loop until the downstream O2 tests thought the Catalytic failed. e.g. there wasn't enough excess fuel in the exhaust for the cat to burn and the down stream to detect the o2 change. it didn't run as well hot part throttle, but open loop was about normal.

i wouldn't think "gas" + whatever is in it today, is stoich at 14.7:1 even if its E0 let alone E10.
That's generally correct.
For race fuel and av gas, the stoich is usually pretty easy to get from the manufacture's websites. Pump gas, not so easy.

Both density and stoich vary with region and time of year. There's dozens of differerent requirements throughout the US and Canada, and so different formulations. The mandated ethanol is just one of those requirements. Some states even have drivability requiments (good for us).
file.png

A good overview of gasoline.
http://www.chevronwithtechron.ca/products/documents/69083_MotorGas_Tech_Review.pdf
Topics include:
Gasoline and Driving Performance
"do." and Air Quality
Refining and Testing
Oxygenated fuels
Engine Deposits
Handling Safety

If you find references to Tier II EEE gasoline that was a fuel created for the purpose of a testing standard. Although siimilar, its not the same as what is sold for public use. For example in this study by Durbin et al

-
Back