widest wheel

-

dowboy1970

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 duster and am going to move springs in and either make or have made a set of steel wheels.

I am running a A-body 8 3/4, and the class I want to run in will alow anywidth as long as you are DOT tired and have not cut your wells.

My question is how wide a wheel and what offset?

I am not afraid to cut wheel lip back some if needed!

You guys can save me some time if you have already been here.

This is the first time on this site that nobody had something to say!!!
Come on guys, tell me what you think, or think you know.

i have something to say

I HAVE NO IDEA

what are you running road course or drag racing?

From what I here if you move the springs in with the off set kit and roll the fender lip you should be able to get a 275 in there on a 8 inch rim with I think around a 5 or 5.5 BS.

Check out these babies that were on the 73 Duster I just picked up. They are 14x9" rallye rims with the stock 4.5" backspacing. They were tucked up in the wheel wells just fine, with the springs in they're stock location. I'll sell them to you if you'd like them. Geof

100_1300.jpg

100_1301.jpg

275/50/15 or 275/60/15 or we talking 14 inch?

thanks for the help guys!!!

I will do the work and research and let you guys know

This is not a new deal guys.

So you can't minitub?

If not, the biggest tire you'll get into a Duster well, not sticking out, is a 275 width. I've seen 295 tires on them but the tire hangs out a bit.

Run a 275/60 over a 275/50 for the larger footprint a taller tire provides.

275/40/17 on our Leadfoot Rally Duster. 17x9 rim with (I believe) 5.97" of back space. Moved the springs inboard .80" with the MP hanger kit, and used a '67 B-body 8.75" housing which was a little bit wider than the a-body 8 1/4" we took out.

Oh we painted it flat black--sorry off topic for this thread, I know!

lfr_duster_017.jpg

lfr_duster_018.jpg

lfr_duster_020.jpg

275/60 15 is it with a 5.5 backspace. i put a 66 coronet 8 3/4 in my Duster with the spring perches moved in 1/2 an inch. My tires are a 1/4 of an inch from touching the springs.

I know you wernt BurntOrange.

Just drug home a 70 Duster tonight. It had one 15 inch wheel on rear, not sure if it is a 8 or 10, It has a 275-60-15 on it. The tire is about a 1/4 of spring and about 1/2 of lip.
This is with a 7 1/4 rear, (Does this matter as long as it is a A body rear?)
I could not get the trunk open so I went thru the rear seat and Wholla!!!!
Found the other wheel.

When I get the width and backspace, I will let you guys know. And post pics.

Thanks for the help guys!!

-
Back