wierd brake problem

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
ok im having a weird problem with the brakes on my 69 barracuda. First off it has stock small bolt pattern discs in the front, and stock drums in the back. Has manual brakes. Anyways the problems are the fallowing. Sometimes the pedal feels fine, not spongy or anything, while holding the pedal down sometime it will slowly go down, like it leaking fluid someplace, but everything is dry. Ssometimes when you hit the brakes the pedal will travel 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down befor the brakes work. still not spongy. If i lift the pedal and hit it again the pedal feels fine. The other problem im having is the rear drums stick some times when I come to a stop. a little light throttle and it breaks free from the stuck drums. Could I have a faulty master cylinder? proportioning valve messing up?

This is a classic case of the master cylinder bypassing internally, due to worn cups, worn/ pitted/ gummed up cylinder bore, or a combination.

67Dart 273:
This is a classic case of the master cylinder bypassing internally, due to worn cups, worn/ pitted/ gummed up cylinder bore, or a combination.

X2 on the MC.

Also sticking rear brake shoes can be caused by faulty rear wheel cylinders, old degraded flexible brake line (any flex line over ten years old should to be replaced), and defective master cylinder.

I probably don’t need to tell you not to drive this car on the road until this problem is repaired.

All of the above is sound advice.
When it comes to brakes: If there's any doubt.. Throw it out! If you have any doubt about the condition of components, (hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder) or they haven't been changed in a long time & the car sits frequently you might want to go ahead & change them anyway. Also flush out the steel brake lines & the system while you are at it. A little prevention to avoid a catastrophe with your classic ride, or worse.

Thanks guys. Well i picked up a master cylinder, but im not sure if its correct. Does anyone know a part # for a manual disc master cylinder?. As for the rear brakes its all new, including the rear hose. Yes brake problems scare me, and need to get this stuff fixed befor it gets back on the road!

-
Back