will 1 # make a difference

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
my 440 calls for a 16# radiator cap. I checked and it has a 15# cap on it now. is that a problem or how correct does it have to be. Bill

I have read where for every pound of pressure in the cooling system you can raise the boiling point three degrees F. So if you're already running a 15# cap and you go to a 16# cap I really don't see a big difference.

I have read where for every pound of pressure in the cooling system you can raise the boiling point three degrees F. So if you're already running a 15# cap and you go to a 16# cap I really don't see a big difference.
x2, I agree with mopardude, also if you have an HP motor be sure and run a 3 or 4 core radiator if you do any driving in town or get caught in traffic every once in a while! You'll be glad you did.

I am running a 4 row now and it will jump up some even going through a Mcdonalds drive thru.

That's more of an indication of poor shroud or fan or not enough fan

But before you get too antsy, what are you using for a temp gauge, and have you checked it against something of better accuracy?

That's one of the problems here. I do not have a shroud right now on it. I have one on the Dart Sport but this radiator does not have any way to bolt one to it. I may have to work on that this winter. Pull the one off the dart and put some clips on this one and get one. Also this radiator does not have the tranny cooler in the bottom so I have an external one mounted in front of the radiator which isn't helping me either. I am thinking about getting a new aluminum radiator with the cooler in the bottom and then I can mount a shroud. I may even go with a couple fans. I just was interested in the difference in the cap. something I have to deal with in the future.

-
Back