Will 15 X 10 wheels fit the rear?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I would like to know if a 15 X 10 wheel will fit the stock leaf spring location with no trouble. I will of course find out what most and least back spacing I can get away with or you guys might can just tell me back spacing I can get away with. I'm also interested in the offset hangers as well to get me another inch or so. I'm not all into the 3" inch relocation kit because it might affect the way the car handles. Thanks.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
15x8 is about your max without changing a thing.

OK Well right now I have the stock rallyes and was wondering what size they are far as the rim width? They are 15" wheels. I guess they could different sizes. I went by the tire shop yesterday to have the white letters turned inside so the black walls are on the outside. I forgot to measure the wheels because I got to talking to the owner and he has like 1 Dart, 2 Chargers, and has all kinds of parts and does interior work also. He even drives a Dodge RAM. But I know how to get a measurment if I really need to without taking the wheel off.

Stop back at your tire shop. He should have a guage for his
tire balancer that will measure the with of the rim without
even taking it off. They use it to check measurements when
balancing the tires.

briankaplan said:
Stop back at your tire shop. He should have a guage for his
tire balancer that will measure the with of the rim without
even taking it off. They use it to check measurements when
balancing the tires.

Cool I forgot about that.....Thanks!

Not to long ago I would have said no way a 10" rim will fit a 67-69 Barracuda with out moving the springs and mini tubbing the car. But I have seen a 68 Barracuda with a 315-60-15 ob a 15X10" rim in the stock wheel wells. The rim has 4.5" backspacing. You will need to use the offset hanger though.

315602.gif

31560.gif

1/4 sits right on the tire though...you can 'fit' anything you want depending on how to define fit. I'd say 'fit' as in the wheel wells completely and fully streetable as it is. I'd define that as just bolting up lol

No springs on that car. It has ladder bars and coil overs. But the Offset spring kit will move the springs out of the wheel well. I wouldnt go with that much tire though. Thats a 30X13.5" How much tire do you plan to run ? a 275-60-15 fit real nice on my Barracuda.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
1/4 sits right on the tire though...you can 'fit' anything you want depending on how to define fit. I'd say 'fit' as in the wheel wells completely and fully streetable as it is. I'd define that as just bolting up lol

Goody, I agree thats a ton of tire stuffed in there and it will most likely rub. He told me a 296-65-15 fits much better.

Heres is my old Barracuda with a 275-60-15 on a 15X8.5" rim and 4-7/8" backspacing. These will fit great with just the offset hangers.

IM000584.gif

IM000585.gif

Dang! That is off the chain!
That's the look I am after! I'm going with 3.5 on the front or whatever Weld Prostar wheels are but not sure on the rear yet. I'm going out right now and take some pics of what I'm starting out with.

One of my 69 Darts has 15X10 inch wheels on the rear they have a 7 1/2 " back spacing ,the car also has a ladderbar setup and is mini tubbed.I don't see how a 15 X10 " wheel will fit on a stock spring location. My other dart has the springs moved inboard and has stock tubs and I don't think a 10" wheel will fit it.I could be wrong but it sure don't look like it will fit.

1969340dart said:
One of my 69 Darts has 15X10 inch wheels on the rear they have a 7 1/2 " back spacing ,the car also has a ladderbar setup and is mini tubbed.I don't see how a 15 X10 " wheel will fit on a stock spring location. My other dart has the springs moved inboard and has stock tubs and I don't think a 10" wheel will fit it.I could be wrong but it sure don't look like it will fit.

I'm guessing now that I could go with a 8.5 wheel and then determine the backspacing on it. And also go ahead and get the offset hanger kit that only moves the leaf in about a 1" or so. I will however install the kit first then do the measuring. I know that a 275/60/15 tire recommends I think 9 to a 10 inch wheel but not really sure on that. Here are some pics with the stock wheels and 235/70/15. Using a tire calculator the 275/60/15 are a shade bigger far as tire diameter not width. I will check that out later.

DSC00375.JPG

DSC00377.JPG

Hold on the pics are to big.

Where I've got my finger is ONLY 1/2" clearance.

235/70/15: the tire I have now which are new
Width 9.25
Diameter 27.95
Rim width range 6-8

275/60/15:
Width 10.82
Diameter 27.99
Rim width range 7.5-9.5

So I believe I can use (get away with) 8.5 on the tire I have now. I wouldn't want to have to buy the 275/60/15 right now. $$$

1969340dart said:

Your right, they wont fit a Dart/Scamp woth out mods because of the low quarter openings and smaller wheel wells.

Mullinax, Do you have large bolt patern on your Barracuda or is it still small bolt patern ?

A 275-60-15 is 28" tall and 11.3" wide with a 9" section width. They would be fine on a 8" to 10" rim but I think 8.5"-9 would be best. If you move the springs with the offset hangers you can go about 5" of backspacing. Mine were 4-7/8" wich was perfect. If you dont move the springs 4.5" may be real close to the springs pack so you may need a small spacer.

AdamR said:
Mullinax, Do you have large bolt patern on your Barracuda or is it still small bolt patern ?

A 275-60-15 is 28" tall and 11.3" wide with a 9" section width. They would be fine on a 8" to 10" rim but I think 8.5"-9 would be best. If you move the springs with the offset hangers you can go about 5" of backspacing. Mine were 4-7/8" wich was perfect. If you dont move the springs 4.5" may be real close to the springs pack so you may need a small spacer.

I edited post #15 after looking at a tire calculator on the web and you are close on the tire diameter.

You can always go a little smaller. I had 255-60-15s on the same 15X8.5" with out moving the springs.

Picture_006.jpg

or you can ove the springs and run a 325-50-15

IM000289.jpg

AdamR said:

QUOTE]

From what I can tell with the wheels on it is 4 1/4 it could be 4 1/2. What would be considered the large bolt pattern?

They will either be 5X4" or 5X4.5" 4.5" be large bolt patern. If those are stock Rallyes on it and not aftermarket ones youve got LBP. The small bolt patern is hard to find rims for.

AdamR said:
They will either be 5X4" or 5X4.5" 4.5" be large bolt patern. If those are stock Rallyes on it and not aftermarket ones youve got LBP. The small bolt patern is hard to find rims for.

It looks more like 4.5 on the tape measure. Here is the Rallye.

DSC00373.JPG

mullinax95 said:
AdamR said:

QUOTE]

From what I can tell with the wheels on it is 4 1/4 it could be 4 1/2. What would be considered the large bolt pattern?
---
4" is small and 4 1/2 is the big one

With spring relocation and mini tubbs ,your car could have a nice butt like this. ha, ha.

It's alot of work and hassle though, and i would not recommend it if you have a more desirable car to start with.

Mine was a low performance granny ride, that really needed some love.

Your car would look really sweet with a wide print though.

In the second pic, you can see that the forward portion of the wheel opening was moved forward 1.5 inches, otherwise the tire would be kissing the wheel opening hard towards the front.

cuda 39.JPG

cuda 11.JPG

how do you measure your bolt pattern? im not to sure what one i have. oh and what is the biggest tire i could fit under my car which is a 1970 dart swinger without moving the springs?

-
Back