Will 1963 Backing Plates Fit My 8 3/4

-
There both 8 3/4 one is the early tapered axel the 63 I haven't bought the a body 8 3/4 housing yet I already Hav e the 63 I know backing plates are $$ just wondered if both 8 3-4 would fit No phone number here?

There both 8 3/4 one is the early tapered axel the 63 I haven't bought the a body 8 3/4 housing yet I already Hav e the 63 I know backing plates are $$ just wondered if both 8 3-4 would fit No phone number here?
Sorry wasn't to clear both were 8 3/4

Yes and no..depends on the axle being used. If stock A Body 8.75, no. The register and bolt circle are different
If B Body or aftermarket A with BBP, then yes.
Great news as I have the 63 drum to drum new brakes and all and I've found an a body with axels Thanks so much I new and still figuring out the site

Great news as I have the 63 drum to drum new brakes and all and I've found an a body with axels Thanks so much I new and still figuring out the site
You do realize that you can pretty much just bolt that 63 B rear right into your A Body.
It's only 1.5 inches wider overall, and if you slot the holes eon the perches inboard 1/2 inch on each side, it will fall right in.

You do realize that you can pretty much just bolt that 63 B rear right into your A Body.
It's only 1.5 inches wider overall, and if you slot the holes eon the perches inboard 1/2 inch on each side, it will fall right in.
Tire clearance would be fine

'64 and older 8.75" brakes will NOT fit newer axles. The backing plate center hole is too small for the newer style wheel bearing to pass through.

The issue is, contrary to what was stated earlier in this thread, '64 and older backing plates will not fit '65 and newer axles. The older backing plates double as a wheel bearing retainer, and will not allow the bearing to pass through the center hole. This is the reason for the early 2 piece axle design.

Wait till you try to pull those keywayed drums off without a drum puller!! You'll probably think of some words along the way to describe that experience!!

The issue is, contrary to what was stated earlier in this thread, '64 and older backing plates will not fit '65 and newer axles. The older backing plates double as a wheel bearing retainer, and will not allow the bearing to pass through the center hole. This is the reason for the early 2 piece axle design.
Are the older housings hub to hub worth anything $$

Wait till you try to pull those keywayed drums off without a drum puller!! You'll probably think of some words along the way to describe that experience!!
10 4 my brother had a 64 dodge heck of a time finally took to the mopar shop

'62-'63 B-body axles and brakes are obsolete, but the housings are fairly sought after due to their narrow width.

I make a 1 piece axle package that fits the early housing and post '64 brakes.

10 4 my brother had a 64 dodge heck of a time finally took to the mopar shop
My local old school filling station has a drum puller that they loan out to us old Moparites, probably hasn't seen the light of day since I sold my 64 Belvedere!!

-
Back