Will 235/60/14 on a Scamp fit?

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
My Scamp needs new tires since the old ones are crusty. I'm running 205/70/14 on stock 14x6 rallye rims (factory backspacing is 4").

Will 235/60's fit on the rear w/o rubbing? I want to use the same rims and the leaf springs have not been relocated/off-set. Is anyone running this size on the rear with a Scamp/Dart?

I'm pretty sure that the widest I can go on the front (w/o rubbing anywhere) will be 215 but any comments are welcome.

I think they will rub every time you turn.
Have you tried to see if they will rub the inner fender at the top if you
Bounce it just a little?
I am not a tec so lets see another tec with a 74 scamp jump in.
I run 235 on my big full size truck! But they are 15".

The previous owner put 245/60/14's on 6" rallye's all around on my 74 Dart Sport. It never rubbed, front or rear, however I think he jacked the front torsion bars up just a bit so it wouldn't rub. And, of course, the rear wheel wells may be quite different sized vs Scamp. Also, I never liked the way those tires looked on those rims. Always looked like the rims were way too narrow for the tires - the sidewalls bulged way too noticeably, and the tread had a definite bow with a high spot in the center. After that experience, I'm going to stick with 205/70/14's on 6" rallyes, when I finally locate the rallye's for my Scamp. There's a guy here that had a beautiful blue 76 Scamp for sale recently - he has 205/70/14's on 6" Mag 500's - those tires look exactly right to me. I'll dig up the info and repost.

It was canner78 and this is the post:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=29656&highlight=1976+scamp

canner78 has 205/70/14's front, 225/70/14's rear

I'm planning 205/70/14's all the way around with 1" spacers on the rear.

I'm planning 205/70/14's all the way around with 1" spacers on the rear.

You won't need the 1" spacers for the rear... I'm running 205/70/14 on all four and there's no rubbing anywhere. Now that I've got the 8 1/4 in there with a sure-grip and new leaf springs, I'd like to get a little more rubber on the ground.

I used to run 225-70-14's on stock small bolt Rallyes on my 70 Swinger, and they would rub some, enough to scrape up the white letter sidewalls. This was with an 8.75" rear axle. With a 7.25" it probably would have been fine. It's hard to tell what will fit without a lot of measuring, and trying them out. I don't think I'd try it myself.

I currently have a set of 245-45-17s on my 67 Dart, and they have a ton of room. I did shorten the axle .5" on each side and move the springs in the same amount. With the wheels I have, they are out near the wheel lip, but not too close, but there is a ton of space between the tire and spring.

Picture%2520004small.jpg

I put 235/60/14 on the back of my 70 dart fit fine could go up
to a 245 by the look of it I got an 8 1/4 with the stock rallys
dont know about the front I run skinnys.

You need a wider rim for a 235/60R14. Your 6 inch rim really only measures 5.5 inches from bead to bead and the biggest tire that is recommended is a 215/70R14. Any larger than that and your asking for problems.

I have 245-60-14" BFG's on the rear of my Barracuda, and 205-70-14'" on the front. No problems at all....when It ran.

Chris, the only reason why I'm going with 1" spacers on the rear is for looks. I've always thought A-bodies look a bit funny with standard width rims in the rear - too much of a gap between the tire and the fender.

I have had 235/60R14's on these 14X6 slots for years now. No problems with rubbing. With the tires fully inflated the center of the tread wears out first though. just lower the presure 5psi.

-
Back