Will a 15x10 wheel with 7.25 backspace fit a 1970 Dart with 8.25 Rear

-

MattP

Reaction score
I'm getting the cart a little ahead of the horse here and would appreciate any info you guys can share.

Normally I'd measure measure measure and then go looking for a set of wheels but I've run across a decent deal for a wheel on my wishlist and won't be able to measure the wheel opening for a day or so.

I'm 99% sure a spring relocation will be required but I'm not sure about a minitub.

Would this wheel wearing a 275/60 tire fit the stock wheel well with relocated springs? I'd like the car to sit down over the tire and not have it jacked up in the back and sticking out.

Like this:
1970-dodge-dart-swinger-340-rear-view.jpg

This answer is way over simplified but here goes.

Any wheel over 4.5" of backspacing is going to be at risk of the tire hitting the leaf spring on the rear of a stock "A" body depending on tire bulge.

If you relocate the leaf springs and mini tub the fenders giving yourself an extra 3" of room on the inside the wheels should work. IMO a 275/60 tire is a little small for a 10" wide wheel. Mini tub definitely required for a 10" wheel with 7.25" backspacing.

But what about the rear end and bolt pattern you changing that too? Anything can be made to work.:D

And that Dart in the picture doesn't have 7.25 back spacing probably more like 3.25" those wheels are deep. Totally different look than the wheels your talking about.

Thank you for the quick response. You've nicely summarized the info.

I'll eventually swap to an 8.75 rear and have been putting off a wheel purchase until that is complete. This deal popped up so I wanted to do a little investigation to see if it would work out. Bolt pattern will remain the same as it's already the large pattern with disc brakes.

And you're right about the wheels in the pic having a much lower backspace. I used it so I could show how I want the stance to be instead of the poked out jacked up look some guys go for.

You'll need a mini tub if you want to tuck tire, and a spring relo forsure no matter what if you dont want the 80's jacked up, wheels sticking out beyond the fender look. That wheel and backspacing should work pretty good, but I'd run a 325/50/15 tire.

That car in your post has also had the axle narrowed almost guarantee. Keep in mind if you want the "deep dish" look like the car in your post as mentioned already, you'll be narrowing your axle too. But with a 7" backspace rim that wont be neccessary. Just depends on the the look your after.

-
Back