will a 273 intake fit a 318?

-

73smurf

Reaction score
I just found a product number on my Offenhauser, it is not a 318 manifold, it is a 273 V8 thru 1965 Dual Quad Equa-Flow Manifold. that kinda sucks....
offy_5615.JPG

64 & 65 273s used smaller intake bolts at a steeper angle than the 66 and later 273 and 318s. You'd probably be bettor off selling this manifold and applying the proceeds to a different one...

There was some damage to some areas, they are being fixed now, once that is done i might look at selling...or building a 273 around this manifold. will 318/340/360 head fit on a 273 block?

273's have a pretty small bore. The combustion chambers of 318-360 heads are larger as are the valves. Physically the heads will fit but you have to notch the top of the cylinder for valve clearance. The stock heads aren't too bad with a little porting and cleaning up. toolmanmike

I think the intake bolt holes can be re-drilled to the correct size and angle. If someone knows the correct angle and size, I'm sure that any competent machine shop could redrill them for you.

I think the intake bolt holes can be re-drilled to the correct size and angle. If someone knows the correct angle and size, I'm sure that any competent machine shop could redrill them for you.

Yep is to re-drill and offeset the angle, dont dont get crazy only so much HP in a 273 do to small bore size etc. Yes you can make it run, been there done that, but for the $$ a 360 or 318 is a no brainer..

So this is a good point, I would redrill too!

This manifold won't fit the 340/magnum heads? If not, why and I wonder why Offy dos'nt list a 340 low rise dual duad. I would like this manifold on my 340

Yep is to re-drill and offeset the angle, dont dont get crazy only so much HP in a 273 do to small bore size etc. Yes you can make it run, been there done that, but for the $$ a 360 or 318 is a no brainer..

So this is a good point, I would redrill too!

I agree with djwhog that to use the bigger engines are a no brainer. I've seen these manifolds in the past, but knew no one to run them.
But then I see a 2 X 4 set up on a 283 Corvette on Barrett-Jackson and ask myself how come we don't see more 2 X 4 273's. It would have the old school kool factor.

you can redrill the holes, but the angle will still be different,when you tighten down the intake bolts they won't seat flat, you have to machine the angle also, I have the edelbrock version of that with 65 heads,just sitting on the shelf

rocker 379.jpg

-
Back