Will a 350 Chevy fit into a 1972 dodge dart

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may just be a 72 Dart kidintheyard, but one thing is for sure, they aren't making 72 Darts anymore so I say leave it all Mopar

i agree delete your post,,sell your car buy a nova,,

ive seen a sbc in a duster back in the 1980s at the car craft street machine nationals i almost puked,,,

in the hot rod /street rod world a sbc is common in any thing,,,we call a chevy powered mopar bodied street rod a SLOPAR,,,

people buy chevies for the same reason people shop at walmart,,,its cheap crap,,,and every other idiot is doing it,,,:violent1:

I'd rather drive a slow slant six than a slightly faster Chebby any day. A Chevy in that Mopar would be kind of like taking the ugliest girl in the school to prom!

Well seeing that Im only 16 Im trying to get more horsepower for my budget the slant six just isnt cutting it for me so I want something V8 and somewhere close to me

Bud,the V8 will kill your limited budget just on gas. rebuild the slant in your high school autoshop and buy Corky Bells book,Maximum boost. Read it,and then build you a turbo system for the slant that will more than double the VERY RELIABLE /6 h.p,PLUS YOU WILL RETAIN YOUR GAS MILEAGE.

You will spend less money than a small block mopar,and have a very respectable 3-400 h.p that will have the dead stock reliability of the slant six. It's a win win for you. No V8 to purchase,no swap parts to support the installation,no changing tbars because the V8 is too heavy for your stock suspension.The stock trans will be just fine with the addition of a shift kit.

Oh I just saw it's your cousins motor,which is free or real cheap? Think outside the box here,and realise there are WAAAAAAY more parts to purchase for even just a mopar V8 swap,never mind a chevy.

And I just plain LOVE the sound of a buzzin half dozen!!

Headers,dual exhaust,a cam, a four barrel and better gears in the differential are your best bangs.

7 posts and were already trying to lure him into the trunk...Lol build a 360 and you'll be throwing rocks at 350's
I have a cousin with a 350 Small block with a 350turbo tranny and I was wondering on how hard it would be to fit it into a 1972 dodge dart swinger.

What would get me the biggest bang for my buck if I were to $800

It's only my opinion, but $800 won't begin to pay for the modifications needed to put the Chevy in your car. I'm sure you could buy a small block MOPAR at a local junk yard and install it cheaper.

Just to give you a heads up. For the SBC you'll need to customize a way to hang the transmission as it will not bolt up to the MOPAR trans location. The engine mounts will not bolt up to the existing setup so that will need modification. You'll have to modify the electrical system. New transmission lines will have to be customized. Depending on the cooling system, you may need another radiator. There will be OTHER costs.

And based on many builds and custom cars I've worked on, you should start a list of all that is needed to modify (SBC engine and MOPAR mods) what you require in order to do your swap (you will miss a few things). Do not low ball anything, be realistic. Then when you think you have everything in order (customizing mods and paying a welder and fabricator to get it installed) to do your job. Then multiply what you've estimated by 2 times your estimate and preferably by 2.5 times your estimate.

To be truthful, in my opinion $800, will not even come close to the cost of doing this. If the /6 engine is in good shape, and I know you don't want to hear this, keep it until you have what it takes to transplant a MOPAR V8 into the car. It's well known fact that good horse power costs "cubic dollars". If you had a Chevy this would not be expensive at all and $800 would probably do it as long as all parts were in good shape. Rebuilding either the engine or trans mission would eat up most of the $800.

if that is your car in your avatar....good lookin car..if your on a budget leave the slanty alone and enjoy the price of fuel while you still can.
I have a cousin with a 350 Small block with a 350turbo tranny and I was wondering on how hard it would be to fit it into a 1972 dodge dart swinger.

Let me guess, slant six and 904? If so, I feel your pain. A 350 will fit, measurement wise they are pretty close to the 340. I'm starting to mock up my own swap of a 350 and 700R4 in my Duster. I've even looked into splicing a Nova/Camaro subframe into an A-Body, but it's easiest to modify a V8 K member. The steering sector looks like it will pose an issue when it comes to routing an exhaust. It would take the same amount of work to swap in a 440, 400, or 383; but where's the fun in that? It's not going to be easy, but few worthwhile things are.

So do you guys frown on the fact that I have a 440 mopar in my 56 chevy? lol
It has alum stage six heads, crossram, hemi 4 speed, and 70 b-body 8.75. Also a 66 a-100 van axle up front :) All dodge baby!

its your car do what you want..i got a guy here suppose to come buy my 73 dart roller to put his 383 in it..he asked would i care i told him hell no pay me its yours do what you want..:shock::D:angry4::thumblef:

It has alum stage six heads, crossram, hemi 4 speed, and 70 b-body 8.75. Also a 66 a-100 van axle up front :) All dodge baby!

No it's not as bad going the other way, especially in your case with a '50s car. lol :prayer:

I kind of disagree with needsaresto, it's pretty easy to build a 275-300 HP 318 that still gets well over 20 MPG especially with a manual transmission and it WILL last longer than you'd ever need, 100% certain. Converting to V8 isn't very simple but I think it's simpler (and more reliable over time) than turbocharging your slant 6.

I got my '70 Duster when I was 16 (only four years ago) and was in the same boat as you, down on power (stock worn 318 ) and not any idea of what to do for more. Then I found FABO and that was like finding enlightenment, LOL! Just ignore all the guys giving you a hard time, they think you are trolling.

350 and Camero sub frame? WTF is going on here! That **** is crazy talk!You need to take that BS some where else!

What would get me the biggest bang for my buck if I were to have $800 something thats mopar and easy to work on and put in with out doing alot of work on the car

Biggest bang for your buck is sell your car and get something with a V8 already....dude i'm in college, broke as hell too and my duster is a Slant 6...who cares about the power!!!! Gas is super expensive, and your dart runs so just enjoy it as is! I don't understand why everybody is so amped up on going fast....you should buy a gutted race car with your $800 and start from there if it's ultimate power you're after! A 72' dart is a beautiful vehicle and if you clean it up, it will win trophies while getting 25mpg....a small budget brings compromises and if you want lots of reliable power, you do not want compromises, that's my opinion!

im a young gun mopar girl and even i can tell you that is just wrong......My daily driven car is a 72 dart with a cast crank 440 that i swapped in myself with a 4 speed .....there is nothing wrong with a v8 swap......my car was originally a 318 car so i went V8 to V8.....but mixing in junk is going to kill it ........just shoot it up first with an elephant gun before putting in the chebbie motor......have you considered a tuner motor from a Honda or Toyota ....they are good on gas. :finga:

Oh he'll no we just wan't more pic's that rock's!!!!

Will You marry me????
im a young gun mopar girl and even i can tell you that is just wrong......My daily driven car is a 72 dart with a cast crank 440 that i swapped in myself with a 4 speed .....there is nothing wrong with a v8 swap......my car was originally a 318 car so i went V8 to V8.....but mixing in junk is going to kill it ........just shoot it up first with an elephant gun before putting in the chebbie motor......have you considered a tuner motor from a Honda or Toyota ....they are good on gas. :finga:

350 and Camero sub frame? WTF is going on here! That **** is crazy talk!You need to take that BS some where else!

Ouch buddy, the poor guy is asking for help and all most of you do is make fun of him. A fella comes on here with similar interests and explains his research and you call him crazy, what is going on here is right. Just trying to help, that's all.

Don't let anyone persuade you one way or the other, do what you think is best. Doesn't matter if it is a Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Lancia, whatever, make it what you want it to be. At the end it will always be all it ever was, just a car. So why not personalize it and make it your car?

We don't have to conform to have brand loyalty, the only thing you should be loyal to is yourself.

As for me, I might be crazy, who knows? But at least I'm doing what I want with my car and nobody will ever persuade me otherwise.

By the way, its spelled C A M A R O, not camero.

I think asking this ? is a set up just to see who gets their panties in a knot.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back