will a 383 squeeze in a 73 duster?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
What would it take? Its got a 727 tranny with it also.

Thanks guys

There is a forum on here dedicated to big block a-bodies.....

Schumacher swap kit for the K-member, for starters. Then headers or manifolds, radiator, et cetera...

Oh ya you can get a 383 in there. You will need the schumacher mounts. Its a must if you asked me. Some make there own. Then Schumacher headers or tti and a good choice if you can afford them. I good radiator to keep that bad monster cool. Will have to shorting the drive shaft to.

No, it will not squeeze in.............

..........it will fall in.

67-68s could be had with 383s. 69 had 383 and 440s.

My late buddy had a Long Ram 440 in his 70.

PA241353.jpg

I dont know what hp manifolds are ha. Sorry... But I know the motor is coming out of a big *** Chrysler...so most likely a c.body. The tranny will bolt right up to the existing mounts right?

So quick list..

Schumaker mounts
V8 radiator
And different headers?
Oh and prolly a different driveshaft

That's it?

yep and if u use the c-body mainfolds they will have to milled about 5/16 to work with power steering.or headers will have to notch the k-member for oil pump clearance.u may have modify the transmission crossmember. the hp mainfold means the high performance ones.will just have to get your driveshaft cut down some. read that article above u can also check out bigblockdart.com go under the tech section.

If you've got the money, I'd suggest the Schumacher kit with mounts, headers and torque strap. Using it lets you keep the power steering if you want without having to modify the headers (with a hammer). Best part is, the Schumachers don't capture the starter. Mini starter is the way to go, too.

Does the car have A/C? If so, the blower motor may interfere with the passenger side valve cover, too. Don't forget suspension, brakes blah, blah blah, the list goes on. Schumacher's site, engine-swaps.com has a pretty good list, all in one place, of the things you'll have to think about.

Lotsa work, and a couple of buck and plenty of cursing, but once it's in, it's worth it!

demon seed : what setup you got running right there? mounts headers etc?

and yea sounds pretty simple to me.

and mopar7172: when you say the cbody manifolds have to be milled 5/16 are you talking about the mounting flange?

demon seed : what setup you got running right there? mounts headers etc?

and yea sounds pretty simple to me.

and mopar7172: when you say the cbody manifolds have to be milled 5/16 are you talking about the mounting flange?

Schmacher everything and don't forget the sub frame connectors and 3 core rad or high efficiency aluminum.

tell me more about the sub frame connectors, first time this has been brought up

tell me more about the sub frame connectors, first time this has been brought up

Any engine with a sizeable amount of torque will try twisting off the front subframe from the rear. Worse case is cracks and doors won't align after a while. The connectors tie the rear and front together. Do a search, you'll probably only need the ones that are welded at both ends not the ones that also come up through the floor and are welded to the body.

thats what i'm talking about the mounting flange. u only to have need sub frame connectors if your have 550 or more horsepower.

alright ill start a thread if i get it up and going. Im trying to get a 383 and tranny from a chrysler c-body for $300 so we"ll see how it goes!

I am considering a 400 in one more A body. I did do a 440 in a 74 Dart Sport. I bought the entire Engine Swaps kit. It was too easy and everything fit pretty well.

I will say though, that no one thing on a 440 was real difficult. But everything was challenging if you know what I mean. I think the B series engine would be way easier in a lot of ways. Not everything, but alot would be easier with the 383-400.

Just my two cents.

ROB

-
Back