Will a 4bbr really help any

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I am thinking about pulling the heads and doing a vale job and seals in my 318 on my truck I have a old 4bbr intake would switching from a 2bbr to a 4bbr with a 500cfm carb really make any difference.

4 bbl is all win
Car mainly came with 2 bbl as cost savings
With the carb set right you should get similar mileage with added performance.

Should help a bit , shave the heads to bring up compression while your at it .

I don't like the stock 318 2 bbl carbs because they go through accelerator pumps like Kotex on a heavy flow day....

I also like to use the electric choke for street drivers.

The 4 bbl will give you an increase in performance, but make sure to put a decent dual exhaust on it. 2 1/4" is fine. The stock single exhaust is too restrictive, and the dual exhaust will really wake it up, especially with a 4 bbl carb.

A single exhaust with a 4 bbl will limit the carb's full potential benefit.

summit has cheap 3in headers I can reduce to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2

3 inch?? Are you talking about the collector? Yes, you can reduce it. Put a 4v carb on it, dual 2 1/4, I run 2 1/2, and it will wake it up some.

Remember an engine is an air pump, air in air out.

summit has cheap 3in headers I can reduce to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2

If it's a street driver, I would recommend a good set of stock exhaust manifolds (like the 68-70 240 manifolds).

Or use headers that do not hang below the k-frame as they will eventually get crushed and not flow worth a dam...

I used to run headers on the street, but went back to stock manifolds.

Less starter and installation issues also. Sometimes headers are difficult to work around, or have too much heat and burn up starters.

If it's a street driver, I would recommend a good set of stock exhaust manifolds (like the 68-70 240 manifolds).

Or use headers that do not hang below the k-frame as they will eventually get crushed and not flow worth a dam...

I used to run headers on the street, but went back to stock manifolds.

Less starter and installation issues also. Sometimes headers are difficult to work around, or have too much heat and burn up starters.

its a lifted truck the headers will not hit

-
Back