Will a 66 b-body 8 3/4 fit without cutting?

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
know someone sellin' a b-body satelllite rear end.. and 8 3/4...will it fit in my 71 demon....or would i need to cut the housing?

I think you can make it work with some different offset wheels. Mopar muscle did an article on that swap about 3 or 4 years ago. The spring perches will have to be moved also.

According to information I have ! A 71 Demon 8 3/4 should be 57 1/8" From Drum To Drum. Depends on the year satellite but if it is 68-70 rear is 60 1/2 drum to drum 71-74 is 63" drum to drum and 71-73 wagon is 64 3/8 drum to drum.So I would say to make it fit proper you would need to shorten it and you would also have to change the dimensions on the spring perch I believe! I am sure there are more people here that is more familiar than I am so maybe they have some more information.

Bobby

I believe the '66 is only about an inch wider. Some say you have to move the perches but I've heard of people just bolting them in with no problems. You can pull the spring out that much by hand. I'd try bolting it in before I started cutting the perches off. Your Demon rear is narrrower than the front track so the wider rear will fill out the wheelwells a little. I'm saving a rear out of a '67 Belvedere in case I ever need an 8 3/4 for one of my a-bodys.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Depends on what year the b-body axel is.
Here are the specs.
62-70 8 3/4 b-body perch to perch 44.00"
flange to flange 55.000"

71-74 8 3/4 b-body perch to perch 47.30"
flange to flange 57.800"

63-72 a-body perch to perch 43.02"
flange to flange 53.200"

Perches would have to be moved.
Special offset rims would be needed

I would look for a A-body rear.

I don't know if this will help you or not.

rearend.jpg

rearend.jpg

Go for it - I put a 66 B body axle in my 73 dart sport. You can get offset wheels made up to meet your backspacing needs, no problem with steel wheels I had mine custom made. I easily fit up 265 50 15's within the wheel wells and no cutting the pinch weld. I moved the spring perches to match the A body spacing.

MOBodyman is correct, the 67 and earlier b body rears are narrower than the later ones. I have one in my Duster and the cop wheels with 255-60-15 tires fit great. All the charts fail to list the pre 67 axles being narrower than the 68 t0 70. When I can I'll measure mine and post the width. My 8 3/4 is from a 66 Charger.
Bob

Also, I believe you would want to use the 66-67 only as the 65-earlier had the bolt on hubs with the big nut in the center.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

I've got a '67 one in my '72 Swinger. I should have relocated the perches but its ok for now...but I'm gonna eventually go back and redo it.

Just to rehash some the 67 and back are the narrowest of b-body rears-and as mentioned all the charts fail to state that.The 64 and older have the crappy bolt on drums,also with any of them the difference in perches is enough I would move them to do it right.With the wheelwells of the duster and demon it actually makes a std. offset wheel look and sit about right.

Not saying I would do this myself but I remember back in the day (late 70's) a certain Dart Sport running a b-body Dana just bolted in as is. I would not have noticed it untill he told me, but when viewed from the rear you could see the springs cocked to meet the unmodified spring perches. Ran it that way for years eventually running mid 10's et/high 120's mph. Always kind of bothered me somewhat, but it wasn't mine and if for some reason I were in a pinch I know I could run it on the street that way about forever due to watching this guy.

Have a 73 Dart Sport used all the brake parts from the 8 1/4 and cables for Emer brake. Bolted it in without any problems with perches were they were no problem even used same drive shaft had plenty of room before touching trans. Same Rally wheels looks better about an inch further out no problem with wheel openings.

i used a 68 charger rear in my 72 Dart. i was a dumb kid and did not move the spring perches...it worked that way for 6 year before i pulled it out (8.75) to put into a 1969 Coronet.

I pulled the 8.25 out of the Coronet and put it into the Dart. I used Mitsubishi wheels (FWD) to get enuff offset. i drove it like that for 2 more years. then i sold it to a guy who drove it like that for at least 2 more years.

it'll work. i would move the perches if i were you. the 66 rear would work even better. its a little narrower.

sb

-
Back