Will a 66 drivetrain swap in to my 68??

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
As the title says will all of the drive train and suspension swap on my 68. I found a 66 that have a warmed over 360 and a 4 speed with other suspension goodies and the whole car is less then all the parts installed, so it go me wondering.... Thanks all.

...or you could just drive it?

;)

Seriously though, pretty sure the K member and the steering parts are different, along with the driveshaft length...but I don't know for sure. Have you searched on here or google yet? There's a couple good info threads somewhere on here for interchange items...just can't recall where.

The engine and trans will work in a 68, you just need the proper motor mounts and they are available at Mancini.

If you need the suspension off the 66, the tie rods, and sleeves will work, the pitman arm and idler arm, and k-frame are different. I'm not sure about the upper and lower control arms, I think that they are interchangeable from the early A to the later A.

The axle will work fine also, but I wouldn't waste time on a 7 1/4" axle for a 360, you'll break it... Go with something stronger...

Karl has it right, the upper and lower control arms are the same also, and as long as all of the components are swapped together, the driveshaft should be the same also!

The rear axle from the ´68 is problibly wider than the ´66 rear axle.

The Doug's headers will not fit. Not sure about the rest of the exhaust system. I have first dibs on the headers for my D/Dart. And maybe the wiring harness.

With Yukon Axles, I'd assume it's an 8 3/4 and it should bolt right in. I'd take the upper control arms and the spindles and put them on the 68 as an assembly. The lower control arms are the same. If they have all new bushings in them, you might as well swap them over too.

While you have it apart, put in all new brake lines on the 68. I believe the 66's are different. Also new fuel lines.

You should be able to find a set of 67 up V8 motor mounts.

Good luck with the build

If you're going with the 4 speed that's in the 66, and your car is an automatic, you will need the pedals from a 67 and up A body! The brake lines on the 66 will work, but everything would have to be swapped over! That Dart has tons of good parts on it, waaaay better than a parts car IMO!!

-
Back