will a '72 bellhousing work on a 65 dart

-

coolhandluke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been collecting parts to convert my '72 dart over to a four speed. I have a bellhousing from a '72, a z bar from a '69, a couple flywheels and a used clutch, and a floor hump.
Well, I found and bought a 1965 dart gt from a guy here who's had been here a long time, the humblebee if you guys have ever seen it. So I'm selling the '72 and want to know if i can use the bellhousing on the '65. I know the z bar won't work and the floor hump won't fit.
So, will the '72 bellhousing and flywheel work without TOO much trouble? Or would it just be easier to get the smaller 9"? bellhousing and flywheel?

Also, being that the driveshaft is the ball and trunion (I think that's right) type, will an 833 with the same tailshaft fit right in without changing the driveshaft?
Thanks!
Luke

Attachments

• bumblebee.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 232
I used a newer aluminum 10.5 bell on my early-a 340, i think it was a 72 bell too. fit was good but I used the early-a 10.5 conversion kit from Brewers Performance, came with a new heavy duty z-bar, and many other goodies which make the conversion a breeze....no wasted time making other parts work and modifying them! Plus, it's shifts so smooth and nice :glasses7:

Hey guys, I have been collecting parts to convert my '72 dart over to a four speed. I have a bellhousing from a '72, a z bar from a '69, a couple flywheels and a used clutch, and a floor hump.
Well, I found and bought a 1965 dart gt from a guy here who's had been here a long time, the humblebee if you guys have ever seen it. So I'm selling the '72 and want to know if i can use the bellhousing on the '65. I know the z bar won't work and the floor hump won't fit.
So, will the '72 bellhousing and flywheel work without TOO much trouble? Or would it just be easier to get the smaller 9"? bellhousing and flywheel?

Also, being that the driveshaft is the ball and trunion (I think that's right) type, will an 833 with the same tailshaft fit right in without changing the driveshaft?
Thanks!
Luke
As long as it is the correct balance for the engine yes the flywheel will work. The bellhousing will work without trouble and the zbar and attaching pieces from Brewers are priceless. Yes if you have a 65 and earlier trans the original driveshaft will also work. If it is a 7 1/4 axle the shaft will need to be shortened when you change the rear. Drive nice and dont dump the clutch and the 7 1/4 will be fine.

So, I got a basically complete four speed setup, but it's from a 69. The guy I got it from seemed to think everything would change over, but he doesn't deal much with the early a's. I'm pretty much certain the pedals won't fit (the early pedals straddle the steering column, right?), and I don't think the z bar and stuff will fit.

Also, is the kit on brewers that has all the stuff for the 10.5 bellhousing changeover on their website? I can't find it if it is. How much does the kit cost?
Thanks guys!
Luke

I would just give Wayne at Breweres a call, he will tell you exactly what you need.
He is a great guy to deall with.

-
Back