Will a driverside Magnum manifold fit a 72 Dart?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im looking into upgrading my exhaust manifolds on my 72 Dart with a 318 before I have a decent dual exhaust put on it. Has anyone used Magnum manifolds on a 67+ A-body?

Did you try the search button? There's been endless threads on it. I've posted repeat pictures on it. The short answer is yes. There may or may not need to be minor grinding that needs to be done on the rear toward the outlet flange. The picture I posted was of a friend's Duster.

I looked for your thread but couldnt find it, Im a bit slow today. Did the car have power steering?

I honestly cannot remember, but I think it did. It has Erson chrome valve covers. The driver's side valve cover has a "P" in front of Erson to spell person. Nick has a unique sense of humor. He's actually a member here, but unlike us, he actually has a life.

Be careful which magnum manifold you buy because very few of them have the large exhaust hole. They do fit the passenger's side with no problem. The Dakota magnum passenger may also fit on the driver's side but again very few of the large exhaust hole Dakotas were made.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04004.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04005.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC03997.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC04054.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 177
Be careful which magnum manifold you buy because very few of them have the large exhaust hole. They do fit the passenger's side with no problem. The Dakota magnum passenger may also fit on the driver's side but again very few of the large exhaust hole Dakotas were made.

Treblig

What is the exhaust size difference
between the 2 Dakota manifolds?

One is 1 7/8 and one is 2 1/8, but here's the thing. Even the smaller of the Magnum manifolds flows way better than any of the other small block manifolds not counting the Magnums. The outlet size is only one aspect. The shape of the manifold is important too.

One is 1 7/8 and one is 2 1/8, but here's the thing. Even the smaller of the Magnum manifolds flows way better than any of the other small block manifolds not counting the Magnums. The outlet size is only one aspect. The shape of the manifold is important too.

Yepp that's for sure. Set a set of stock 70's 318 manifolds next to any magnum manifold sometime and you'll see instantly the flow properties of the magnums are far superior in any flavor.

I ended up deciding to go with headers though. I found a set of brand new hedmans here locally for 80 bucks.

-
Back