Will a gas tank from a 63 Dart fit in a 60-62 Lancer/Valiant?

-

55crownvic

Reaction score
The tanks are similar in shape but the 63 tank is larger, has anyone attempted to install a later tank into an earlier Valiant/Lancer? Looks to me like it might fit, the only issue I see is the later tank is 3 inches further forward and may interfere with the rear end housing. Thoughts?

yes-- it can be made to work-- i think the filler neck seal is different, Lawrence

I looked at that as a possibilty. Problem with the lancer is the small size (12 gallon) verses the larger A body tank

I have no personal experience-- i had talked with a toad lover who did this mod-- saying he used the 63 tank style in his 62 car-- & it was not too much work--wished i had a junk 63 tank so you could mock it up.(better yet remember who told me that)Lawrence

I ordered a new tank for my 63 dart. sitting side by side with 65 cuda tank,, I couldn't see a difference. the tank went in the 63 o k. classic industries show a different part # for the 63 and another # for the 64-66. I ordered my tank off ebay for quite a few dollars less for same tank.
I did pull the trigger on a rough 62 lancer yesterday, SOoooo 55crownvic, I hope you and I can find enough toad guys on here to help with t he many problems we will encounter!!!!
I will have to replace rear frame rails on mine. I stopped at buddy's mopar boneyard on t rip back home and looked at 65 cuda sitting on its side trying to see if rails are the same. best I can tell they are. I did notice they are 1 inch closer together on the toad. I do know the wheel base of the toad is like what? 105 or 106, the early cuda is 110 an dart 111????? I always though difference in wheelbase of ply vs dodge is madeup ate rear seat area???? or maybe that area directly behind rear seat.
anyway, I will new new tank for sure . funny how they deteriorate after 52 years.????

by the measurements of the 63 tank, it looks the same except, the tank is wider(towards the front of car)and it looks like the tank will be very close to the rear axle housing, might work.

hum ??? if too tight and you didn't move rear axle forward, you would have to alter the spare tire well!~ LOL
I will pprobably be pulling the tanks out of a 64 and this lancer maybe today, I will try to see what will work....

-
Back