Will a non air heater box bolt to a air conditioning firewall in a body's ?

-

Mopar-Mitch

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster parts car with non air, I was wondering if the non air box and controls could be used in an air car without changing the fire wall.

You would need to cut & splice in a section of firewall.

I have done the change on E body's and B body's and had to weld in the firewall section, I'm sorta new to A body's and just by looking I thought they may be the same fire wall on air and non air.

I just listed that section of firewall today.
Yep, I saw that. The duster parts car I have has a perfect firewall too so I have everything i need for the swap. I see your part's on here from time to time, I think you may be close to where I live, you wouldn't have a real nice 70 to 72 dart hood for sale by any chance?

Yep, I saw that. The duster parts car I have has a perfect firewall too so I have everything i need for the swap. I see your part's on here from time to time, I think you may be close to where I live, you wouldn't have a real nice 70 to 72 dart hood for sale by any chance?
No, sorry I don't. But, I'll keep my eyes open for one

I went the other way with mine. I put a factory ac system in a non ac car. I didn’t change the firewall. The heater hoses are in the same locations so you can use that to locate everything. It should fit fine except the fan hole is much larger. There are a number of other holes to plug like the ac drain, ac lines, and mounting holes if you don’t swap the firewall. Seems like a lot of extra work to change out the firewall, but that is just my take. You can’t see much of it anyway with the engine in. Detroit Muscle sells a lot of good stuff like rebuild kits an firewall insulation.

Last edited:
I have since taken a closer look and i agree.A neat plate could fabricated to adapt the non air heater and simple drain plugs could fill the extra holes leaving the air option available.
Not sure what i'm going to do...currently have the body nearly completly stripped on the new project.A long way to go.

On the other side of it, if you are going to drive on the street much, ac can be pretty nice depending on where you live.

I have since taken a closer look and i agree.A neat plate could fabricated to adapt the non air heater and simple drain plugs could fill the extra holes leaving the air option available.
Not sure what i'm going to do...currently have the body nearly completly stripped on the new project.A long way to go.
Yep, I would like to keep the air option available, may need it in the future.

It’s more trouble to put an ac box in the dash than a heater box, but it is heck of a lot easier to do the ac box when you are building the car rather than change it out later.

One good reason to do the swap... Todays aftermarket offers some very nice modern kits for vehicles that were heat only builds. Not so much for those that have the "obsolete" factory a/c builds.

-
Back