will a SB radiator work with RB?

-
It's a HP dependent thing. I'm not sure how far you can go myself. However, my buddy also here at FABO, "The Legend" has a 500 Indy headed ride with a super monster roller in a all steel dart running real well and he has a stock /6 rad in the car now with no issues.

If the rad is clear and flows well, you should be good. From what I have seen.

All depends on the condition and size of the radiator.But I am opting for an aftermarket aluminum radiator.Guy on E bay sells aluminum rads for around $175 and around $30 shipping ...but they come with the tranny cooler built in.

If you can find a 318 or 340 donor car with air conditioning, it will have the larger capacity radiator that`s good for extra cooling.

The radiator yoke will probably to small for the V8 radiator. 22" vs 26" width.

The earlier a-bodies only went up to 22", and this applies to the factory 383 and 440 cars too.

Glad this thread re-popped back up.

Not that new rads are the cheapest thing in the world, but....

New Rad for my /6 '74 Duster from AutoZone was approx. $230 bucks and the /6 cools the hoped up 318 easy. A direct replacement, it worked as you would expect and like it should.

Bolt out the old, bolt in the new, hook up the hose's and add coolent.... no problems.

The connections are wrong depending on the year.Don't use the truck waterpump housing,nothing but trouble.

How are you guys using slant 6 rads with small blocks. There are a few problems here. Going from memory...which is suspect at best.... lol

1) pre-70 SB have drivers side outlet, 1.5", 1.5" inlet (top)
2) post 70 SB have pass. side outlets, same sizes.
3) Early BB (pre-74 I think) have drivers. side, 1.75" outlets, 1.5" inlets
4) Post 74 BB have the pass. side outlets, same as early sizes.
5) Slant 6 rads. have the upward angled outlets on the pass side, all years? not sure of the size. Are they 1.5"???
6) SB rads are usually 22", the BB are 26", yes? just more area for more heat dissapation.

Shrouds are a must, esp is using a SB rad for BB applications. Rad. supports can be cut out to make the opening bigger for 26" rads. We used a 70 Fury rad (383) for our 383 in a 72 Scamp. used the shroud, no worries.

-
Back