Will my 360 cast crank, cast piston……

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
Survive a little boost? SpeedMaster heads, purple shaft, 360 craigslist
Core with a friends Atomic snail with an estimated 600hp, might be too much, just enough or needs an even smaller pulley? Yes, I do dumb things regularly, but that’s what keeps my insanity grounded. Picture is of it assembled is before I got it after being pulled from a nicely built engine. Going to finish the engine by July and hopefully get the power puffed on at after summertime.

73523861005__C4B14AB3-3D43-4975-A246-71F952E1C285.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9360.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

60592267079__3E4E33E3-F593-407D-BAF0-C258A57620AF.jpeg

What size cam?
I’d rather run a single plane intake/
Yea, it’ll live just fine with a good timing adjustments, enough fuel to combat the pressures seen and good work on the carb.

Who’s super charger and how many PSI should it put out?

The biggest issue is ring gap. If it were me I’d run it. Just treat her like a lady.

Torqustorm puffer, old school cam purple shaft of unknown info, cast pistons and a complete re-ring and rebore to Make sure it all seals up fine. Thinking with the heads and can, it would be a 300hp engine, then doubled with the 650cfm carb that was on the engine.

It’ll take more than 8psi. Fuel and timing are the critical items to be looked on. You can screw them up. Richard Horner has shown this time and time again.

It’ll take more than 8psi. Fuel and timing are the critical items to be looked on. You can screw them up. Richard Horner has shown this time and time again.
That's all "I" would run on it because I would want it to last a very long time.

Ring gap, conservative timing, plenty of fuel. E85 and you can bump it up.

How good of a tuner are you? And what fuel (octane) will you run? That will determine how long it lives. The crank will be fine. The cast pistons with factory ring gaps will die quickly if you get even a hint of detonation. If you add ring gap, and are careful (conservative) with your tune up it can be ok up to about 10 pounds, maybe 12, with the timing right and enough octane. But I wouldn’t push it much more than that.

How good of a tuner are you? And what fuel (octane) will you run? That will determine how long it lives. The crank will be fine. The cast pistons with factory ring gaps will die quickly if you get even a hint of detonation. If you add ring gap, and are careful (conservative) with your tune up it can be ok up to about 10 pounds, maybe 12, with the timing right and enough octane. But I wouldn’t push it much more than that.
Agree. ^^^^ this is the correct answer, imo.
And a torquestorm is a little small for a V8. Very nicely built, however.
And I bet rebuilder ring end gaps are not gonna be real tight/on spec.

Probably have the shop tune it. I am partly deaf in one ear and do not the best hands. Went over my finances after my buddy pulled one on me on another project, and looks like I might have to change some stuff up on my package. Really sucks, but just have to keep moving forward.

If the motor is not fully assembled, I'd go ahead and pull out the pistons and gap the rings. It would give you a chance to inspect your Craigslist special also and checkout out bearings, etc. before bolting it all back together.

I m having them tear it completely down, boil the block, hone the bores and install all new bearings and rings. It will be a fresh engine by the time it’s all done. The guy will file file the rings as needed.

What fuel? Pump 91? You’re in California so you have the worst pump gas in the country. It will detonate easy and shatter those cast pistons very quick. If you’re going through all the trouble of having the motor rebuilt a set of forged pistons would be an extremely wise decision/investment.
If you can get e85 that’s better, but you should still go forged.

Yes, the goat pee they pass for gasoline out here is pretty bad and was thinking if I kept the boost under 6-8lb range, I could get away with it. I am thinking it might even be better to put the assembly on a 5.9 magnum crate motor as not to have to worry about the cheap parts. Sadly, with the guy doing my work pulling the rug out from under me and tripling my restoration, correction repair on my project and not having a garage to work on anymore means this unit either goes away or shelved til I figure my finances.

-
Back