Will my hood pins be enough?

-

Dartfan71

Reaction score
I have already test fit a bolt on fiberglass hood for my 71 dart. I have already modified the hood springs and reclocked them so I can open and close the hood with one finger, but my question is will two hood pins be enough to hold it down when running at the strip? It his the heavier weight hood and not the race weight. Should I incorporate the factory hood latch somehow? What have you done?

We have a AAR fiberglass hood with 2 hood pins
no hood latch

No problem at 6.87 @ 1/8 mile

hhg_zps4446dee1.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. It might lift a inch or two but it's not going to go anywhere.

I have a AAR sixpack hood and still use the factory latch with hood pins..

If you're still not sure, put a large sheet metal plate (about the size of a CD) centered on the pin on the underside of hood. Use the bolt holes for the exterior pin plates to use the inner plate to sandwich the hood.

If you're still not sure, put a large sheet metal plate (about the size of a CD) centered on the pin on the underside of hood. Use the bolt holes for the exterior pin plates to use the inner plate to sandwich the hood.

I like the idea and was thinking about doing that. Thanks

I'm using a race weight hood on my '66 Dart and nailing down the front 8" has been problematic. Above about 134 it would start to flutter with 4 pins across the radiator support and interim measures involving HD zip ties eventually failed leading to the installation of a new hood. This time I've moved the center two pins forward 5" and, yep those reinforcing plates are stainless and doubled up on the underside with stainless 3/16" button head cap screws & nylocks securing them:

attachment.php

attachment.php

This weekend I'm installing the trim strip on the front edge of the hood and adding some bracing from the 3/16" screws to the leading edge of the hood, this is facilitated by the retainer clips I fabricated last time I did this...

Dave

Attachments

• TrmClp01.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 179
I have a stock steel hood with a big scoop on it and 2 pins and have had no problems at 10.1 seconds 130+mph.

Finished the hood fitment this past Sunday. Installed the leading edge trim with a piece of 1/16" wall aluminum angle stock backing it up and two short pieces tying the front of the hood to the underside of the outboard hood pin reinforcing plates:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If this doesn't keep the hood from flapping to 150 or so, I'll just re-install the steel hood. :)

Dave

-
Back