Will S/W gauges work with stock sending units?

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
Like the title asks, will an electric Stewart-Warner gauge oil and temp work with the stock mopar sending unit? Thanks

SW stuff works with their sending units. you can buy aftermarket/generic sending units but it's kind of a crap shoot as to the accuracy and quality. they 100% don't work with stock sending units-- at least the ones i tried.

Doesn't it depend on the resistance the gauges are designed for and the resistance the sending units produce ? It not universal.

Doesn't it depend on the resistance the gauges are designed for and the resistance the sending units produce ? It not universal.
yeah, that's pretty much the game.

i just went thru this whole hoopla with a temp & fuel gauge, thought i'd save a few bux and order up some "universal" units, and after a few rounds of dicking around with crap *** crap quality and rubegoldbergain fittings and tearing my hair out over how much fuel was or wasn't in the tank (and no, pushing the truck isn't an option), then questioning whether or not the temp gauge was accurate i just took the hit and ordered up the SW units.

Yep! Sometimes a manufacturer will spec an ohm resistance for there gauge. It doesn’t make sense to us but for them, you have to purchase there material so they make the money of everything. This way you just can’t run out and grab a generic or manufactures sending unit and be back up and running in a jiff.

I thinks it’s bullshit but that’s how it is. Crappy, I know.

Yep! Sometimes a manufacturer will spec an ohm resistance for there gauge. It doesn’t make sense to us but for them, you have to purchase there material so they make the money of everything. This way you just can’t run out and grab a generic or manufactures sending unit and be back up and running in a jiff.

I thinks it’s bullshit but that’s how it is. Crappy, I know.
that was the problem i ran into. the spec for the SW gauges was just different enough from autometer and universal that they either flat *** wouldn't work or the reading was inconsistent enough to give me pause. i'm sure there could be a work around but i just splashed the $30 for the SW temp sender and tacked it onto a summit order and bit the bullet with the fuel gauge and banged up my card at tanks inc, again.

This crap annoys me.
100% agree.

the further annoyance is amplified when you wind up having to use like three adapters to make the damn thing work. which just cheezes me to no end. it looks bobo, that's just more potential points of failure, and in my particular case there was just no room to operate in the space (383 in a truck with AC/heater lines running).

thanks to my hoarding tendencies i was able to find a single adapter and make the temp sensor work, but still that was all way too much for something should be a no brainer.

and not to get down on tank inc, but they will sell you every single little doo-dad and farkle you need... so why not just explicitly say: hey dum-dum, i see you're buying a fuel level sender so just go ahead and buy our gauge and save yourself the hassle because it won't really work with anything else on the market that doesn't look cheeze dick.

-
Back