Will SBP discs from a 71 work on a 66?

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
II have a 66 SBP signet, want to install SBP discs to replace my awful drums. Will it be a pretty straight forward swap if I have all the components at hand? Thanks! (quick question, hoping for a quick answer so I can go buy it!)

Yes, the spindle (or knuckle) is a bolt in to your upper control arm small ball joint.

Yup, just get everything off the '71 A-body. You can keep your '66 control arms but everything else from the lower ball joint out, has to go. You may have to swap the brake master cylinder push rod if it's a manual system as I seem to remember there was a slight length difference. Use the '71 lines and proportioning valve too. You'll love the improvement.
Mark

I'm researching for doing this disc swap on my 64 and I just want to make sure I've got the information straight.

I can reuse:
upper control arm
Upper ball joint
Lower control arm
Soft lines

I need from a 66-72 disc brake setup:
Lower ball joint
Spindles
Calipers
Dual master (these are non-power correct?)
Master cylinder pushrod
Proportioning valve
Front hard lines

Am I correct or missing anything? I'd like to make sure before I start sourcing parts and throw away money I don't have right now. Thanks guys

You may also need a new front to back line from a disc brake car. On my 66 the distribution valve is in a different place and configured different so a new front to rear line was necessary. My donor car was a 67 Cuda. Geof

You won't be able to use the old hoses...they have to be for the disc brakes. Also, the master cylinder comes in both power and manual so decide which you want before buying a new one.

A manual to manual master cylinder swap won't require a new master cylinder pushrod.

-
Back