will the cammando air breather fit under the hood with a edelbrock 2176 intake

-

GLW

Reaction score
I have a 1965 formula s barracuda that I am installing a 1967 273 engine with the 920 heads. I would like to put an edelbrock 2176 performer 4 barrel intake on the engine. What I need to know is will the original commando air breather fit under the hood with this combination. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to use a different base under the Commando housing to match a Holley/Eddy carb. I used the base from a generic 9" aftermarket air cleaner, so it would fit my TQ (the factory TQ manifold is approximately the same height as the Performer), but I needed to use a shorter element (in my case a Wix 46036) to clear the hood on my '66. The biggest issue with using shorter elements in the Commando housing is that at some point, the housing is dropping down "around" the carb and you may run into interference with the carb and/or linkage if you go too low, depending on what carb you're using. With my TQ, the throttle lever is VERY close to the housing now. Some Holleys you may run into bowl interference. I got mine to fit, but it was close. Your results may vary.

You will need to use a different base under the Commando housing to match a Holley/Eddy carb. I used the base from a generic 9" aftermarket air cleaner, so it would fit my TQ (the factory TQ manifold is approximately the same height as the Performer), but I needed to use a shorter element (in my case a Wix 46036) to clear the hood on my '66. The biggest issue with using shorter elements in the Commando housing is that at some point, the housing is dropping down "around" the carb and you may run into interference with the carb and/or linkage if you go too low, depending on what carb you're using. With my TQ, the throttle lever is VERY close to the housing now. Some Holleys you may run into bowl interference. I got mine to fit, but it was close. Your results may vary.

Yes, it will fit. Have the Performer with a 9636 Carter.

thanks. on my original 65 273 I put a holley adapter plate which is 3/4" thick so i could mount a holley 600 carburetor. I had to use an aftermarket base and shorter filter as well. Its works. I found a holley street dominator that looks like it would be close to original manifold height. not sure about performance though. I'll have to decide which one I need to use. Any suggestions?

The Street Dominator is a surprisingly good manifold, for what it is. I would use it and not think twice.

Really, @Mopar Tim ?? A big red X? You disagree with what WORKED for me??

-
Back