Will the slant6 throttle cable work on a 400 swap?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
i converted the slant 6 dart to a big block with a RPM performer intake will the original slant cable work or do i need to get a special fit and if so can someone tell me what size and where ?

It is probably way too long. You could just buy a stock replacement V8 cable -- I don't think SB/BB would make much difference in length.

This is some information I got a hold of a while ago (from FABO, where else?) that you may find useful. I called the local Chrysler dealer about the SB cable, they were not useful.

AR ENGINEERING – THROTTLE CABLE PRIMER

One of the biggest problems the Mopar hobby has is lack of information provided by the factory about currently available parts. There are a lot of useful items still available over the counter at your local dealer, but the factory just doesn’t have a mechanism to tell us about them.Throttle cables are a great example of this situation. Most Mopar enthusiasts do not realize that new throttle cables are still available from their local dealer parts counter. While it is true that many of the original cables are no longer available, the cables that are available come in enough lengths to cover most applications.

The problem though, is that if you walk into a dealership and ask for a throttle cable that is 24 inches long, they will laugh at you. Part counter folks usually only know part numbers or applications and the parts books do not list length. Hot rodders on the other hand, know what length they need but they have no idea what the original application or part number was! No wonder the two groups rarely see eye to eye.

Seeing that this was a common problem in the Mopar world, we decided to do something about it! So we took the bosses credit card and ordered up one of each cable still available for the early style round firewall clip. When we got the cables we sat down and measured them and then took some photos.

Side note – Mopar cars used round firewall throttle clips until the mid-70’s when they went to a square style. The problem is that A body cars stayed round until 1976, B body changed in 1971, and who knows when C body cars changed. The boss canceled the credit card before we could buy a stash of the square body cables so you’re on your own if you have a later model car.

So enough of this chatter, lets cut to the chase and give you the info you need.Part number Length, end to end Original Application

P4529112 19.75 inches Street Hemi

2899 339 20.50 inches Small block A body

2951 459 21.00 inches C body big block

4088 095 24.00 inches Pickup truck, big block

2899 335 24.38 inches Slant 6 A body

3577535 , small block 4bbl, 22.46″ overall

The trick is to measure your existing cable and then find the nearest size to what you need. Obviously, you’ll want to be a little too long rather than too short. Once you get your new cable in place you should adjust it per the instructions in the service manual and then you are ready to go.

I stumbled across that same post a while back. Anyway, you can see that the regular slant six cable is the longest by far. I used the street Hemi cable on my 2bbl conversion, but it's still a little long. If you have the BB installed, just lay out the slant cable and measure how much too long it is, then get the one that fits best.

I stumbled across that same post a while back. Anyway, you can see that the regular slant six cable is the longest by far. I used the street Hemi cable on my 2bbl conversion, but it's still a little long. If you have the BB installed, just lay out the slant cable and measure how much too long it is, then get the one that fits best.
yes the engine is installed

Depends on how much effort you are willing to put in on it. Can you alter it to fit? Yes. But with so many great options like Lokar to choose from, I don't think I'd bother.

This is some information I got a hold of a while ago (from FABO, where else?) that you may find useful. I called the local Chrysler dealer about the SB cable, they were not useful.

One of the biggest problems the Mopar hobby has is lack of information provided by the factory about currently available parts. There are a lot of useful items still available over the counter at your local dealer, but the factory just doesn’t have a mechanism to tell us about them.Throttle cables are a great example of this situation. Most Mopar enthusiasts do not realize that new throttle cables are still available from their local dealer parts counter. While it is true that many of the original cables are no longer available, the cables that are available come in enough lengths to cover most applications.

The problem though, is that if you walk into a dealership and ask for a throttle cable that is 24 inches long, they will laugh at you. Part counter folks usually only know part numbers or applications and the parts books do not list length. Hot rodders on the other hand, know what length they need but they have no idea what the original application or part number was! No wonder the two groups rarely see eye to eye.

Seeing that this was a common problem in the Mopar world, we decided to do something about it! So we took the bosses credit card and ordered up one of each cable still available for the early style round firewall clip. When we got the cables we sat down and measured them and then took some photos.

Side note – Mopar cars used round firewall throttle clips until the mid-70’s when they went to a square style. The problem is that A body cars stayed round until 1976, B body changed in 1971, and who knows when C body cars changed. The boss canceled the credit card before we could buy a stash of the square body cables so you’re on your own if you have a later model car.

So enough of this chatter, lets cut to the chase and give you the info you need.Part number Length, end to end Original Application

The trick is to measure your existing cable and then find the nearest size to what you need. Obviously, you’ll want to be a little too long rather than too short. Once you get your new cable in place you should adjust it per the instructions in the service manual and then you are ready to go.
---THIS NEEDS TO BE KEPT ON THIS FORUM FOR FUTURE REFREANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve at Pro American ([email protected]; 989-843-7000) makes the best repro Mopar cables plus he will make you any custom length you want. I had him do this for me as the original 340 cable was too long for mounting on the 440's rear carb: Imperial Services. It was $89 plus shipping & it is perfect!

Dart TC.jpg

I was running a 400 low deck big block in a 1975 Dart Sport for a few years with the car's original slant 6 throttle cable. Mine was an M1 single plane intake, no trans kickdown linkage because I run a manual valve body in the trans, and I made a tall throttle cable bracket required with taller intakes like the M1 single plane or Edelbrock RPM dual plane. I never had any problems with that cable and never cared that it had a little S-shaped bend due to the extra length. I'm too cheap to pay for a cable to replace one that works fine.

I was just working on this issue today with the Car Craft Duster project. Fortunately I keep a stash of throttle cables on hand so I just had to find the one the fit the best. I also had to fabricate a custom throttle bracket since nothing off the shelf would fit.

DSC_1522 (Large).JPG

DSC_1513 (Large).JPG

Wow, that is a blast from the past. I think I wrote that up about 20 years ago. Guess nothing goes away on the internet. Thank you Al Gore for such a wonderful invention!

Wow, that is a blast from the past. I think I wrote that up about 20 years ago. Guess nothing goes away on the internet. Thank you Al Gore for such a wonderful invention!

Sweet!

You guys have some cool stuff. I just picked up some nice throttle brackets, anxious to get them on the motor, er engine..

Dusterdenovo, You just reminded me of a high school science teacher. She told us "Use the proper terminology,The word Motor is used to describe a electrical component.Engine is the proper word for a component that uses internal combustion ". Funny how things stick in your head from over forty years ago.

The word Motor is used to describe a electrical component.Engine is the proper word for a component that uses internal combustion.

Good catch! I was thinking of a thread that was here on FABO not too long ago that whipped that very subject to death when I started typing the 'm' word...

Dusterdenovo, You just reminded me of a high school science teacher. She told us "Use the proper terminology,The word Motor is used to describe a electrical component.Engine is the proper word for a component that uses internal combustion ". Funny how things stick in your head from over forty years ago.
A guy named Jim Hale laid that on me about 45 yrs. ago !

Sweet!

You guys have some cool stuff. I just picked up some nice throttle brackets, anxious to get them on the motor, er engine..

Thanks, I'm in the process of designing a throttle bracket for EFI engines. The fuel rails are in the way of the normal bracket so I need to come off the carb studs. Here is what I've worked up so far.

DSC_1508 (Large).JPG

-
Back