Will these 17" wheels work on our Dart?

-
Drag Wheels DR-9 Gloss Black Wheels DR9177044073GB
It says 4 1/2 bolt pattern, which I have. I would have to run a spacer on the back due to stock spring location. Is this BS ok on the front? I know there's some very knowledgeable wheel people on here.

Uh, it says 4 x 4.5". That's not gonna work...

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 2.12.55 PM.png

What year Dart as you either have 5x4.5 or 5x4? Not to mention Drag are cheap Chinese wheels. There are good Chinese made wheels like Konig. So do your homework on offset, hub bore, tires sizes for the rim width and casting techniques.

Last edited:
5x4.5. From what I've read, about a 5.5" BS is good for the front with the big bolt conversion and stock upper arms. I'm looking at a few more wheels. I am curious to know if I'm on the right track with the front BS. I seem to be stuck with running a 1" spacer on the rear to get me to the 4.5 BS I need with the stock spring location and stock A body width rear.

You’re on the right track with the front backspace. With BBP, 73+ disks the max backspace you can run is about 5.6”. That’s because of outer tie rod interference. It does depend on the design of the rim, but 5.6” is s fairly safe bet.

With a 7” rim you don’t really need to worry about having the max though, because the widest tire you’re going to put on a 17x7 is a 235/50/17. And that means you could run a 17x7 up front with a 4.5” backspace. You can’t even run 245/45/17’s with a 7” rim, so you don’t necessarily need to max out the backspace. You could run any backspace from 4.5” to 5.6” with a 17x7.

Now, step up to a 17x8 and a 255/45/17 and you need 5.25 to 5.6” for backspace.

You’re on the right track with the front backspace. With BBP, 73+ disks the max backspace you can run is about 5.6”. That’s because of outer tie rod interference. It does depend on the design of the rim, but 5.6” is s fairly safe bet.

With a 7” rim you don’t really need to worry about having the max though, because the widest tire you’re going to put on a 17x7 is a 235/50/17. And that means you could run a 17x7 up front with a 4.5” backspace. You can’t even run 245/45/17’s with a 7” rim, so you don’t necessarily need to max out the backspace. You could run any backspace from 4.5” to 5.6” with a 17x7.

Now, step up to a 17x8 and a 255/45/17 and you need 5.25 to 5.6” for backspace.
Appreciate your input. What's your thoughts of a spacer in the rear, not sure if I'm a fan but don't have any experience with them to judge.

Appreciate your input. What's your thoughts of a spacer in the rear, not sure if I'm a fan but don't have any experience with them to judge.

Spacers aren't a big deal. For just a plain flat spacer I don't like to go any more than 10mm thick. That's just me and my personal preference. To go that thick you need longer than stock wheel studs anyway, so you're not dealing with 40+ year old wheel studs either. If they have to be thicker than 10mm, I jump up to 20mm and use a spacer/adaptor that has its own lug studs, like this...

s-l1600 (2).jpg

2pc 20mm Wheel Spacers | 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 | HUBCENTRIC | 1/2" Studs | 5x114.3 | eBay

That type comes in widths up to like 3" for some of the offroad guys. I dunno about how great an idea that would be, but I've run them up to 1.5" thick on 4x4's with 33's and 35's with no issues at all.

You want to try and stay hubcentric if you can, but tons of aftermarket wheels aren't. Pretty sure there's even factory cars that aren't. That's a different argument anyway. As for the spacers, they're like anything else. Do it right, use high quality parts, properly torque the lug nuts and check them for tightness periodically and everything should be fine.

100 mm is NOT 4 inches! 100 mm = 3.937 inches. Has been discussed to death, consensus is the studs will fail.

It’s a dual pattern wheel, 5x100 and 5x4.5”. His car is BBP.

Spacers aren't a big deal. For just a plain flat spacer I don't like to go any more than 10mm thick. That's just me and my personal preference. To go that thick you need longer than stock wheel studs anyway, so you're not dealing with 40+ year old wheel studs either. If they have to be thicker than 10mm, I jump up to 20mm and use a spacer/adaptor that has its own lug studs, like this...

View attachment 1715158447
2pc 20mm Wheel Spacers | 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 | HUBCENTRIC | 1/2" Studs | 5x114.3 | eBay

That type comes in widths up to like 3" for some of the offroad guys. I dunno about how great an idea that would be, but I've run them up to 1.5" thick on 4x4's with 33's and 35's with no issues at all.

You want to try and stay hubcentric if you can, but tons of aftermarket wheels aren't. Pretty sure there's even factory cars that aren't. That's a different argument anyway. As for the spacers, they're like anything else. Do it right, use high quality parts, properly torque the lug nuts and check them for tightness periodically and everything should be fine.
Thanks blu, appreciate the info and your time.

-
Back