Will these heads work?

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I have two sets of J heads casting numbers 3418915 on both, one set has 2.02 intake valves the other set has 1.88 intake valves. I have a 340 Casting number 2780930-340-4, I'm going to build. I read someplace but can't find the site again. The #3418915 AAWJ 360 2.02 is a T/A head. But,they claim they will not work on a LA engine block.They said,they would bolt up, but will not work. Has any one else heard of this? What head should I use?

I have two sets of J heads casting numbers 3418915 on both, one set has 2.02 intake valves the other set has 1.88 intake valves. I have a 340 Casting number 2780930-340-4, I'm going to build. I read someplace but can't find the site again. The #3418915 AAWJ 360 2.02 is a T/A head. But,they claim they will not work on a LA engine block.They said,they would bolt up, but will not work. Has any one else heard of this? What head should I use?

TA heads share the same casting number as a J head...but they have different part numbers which that are not on the heads...

unless the heads are drilled for offsetted pushrods that only use TA mechanical rockers...then they are not TA heads just plan J heads...

TA heads came on 340...so why would they not work with the TA rockers????

Look at both J heads together...are the pushrod holes in the same place or is the alleged TA head pushrod holes further away from the intake ports ?

That is what I was thinking. But I seen some place that say it wouldn't work. I wish I can find the article I was reading. I can't even remember what I was looking for when I came on it. So the heads with the 2.02 intake are just J heads if the pushrod holes are in the sameplace as the heads with 1.88 intake? Are there alot of difference in preformance in the two heads? I would quess the ones with the larger intake would be the way to go?

That is what I was thinking. But I seen some place that say it wouldn't work. I wish I can find the article I was reading. I can't even remember what I was looking for when I came on it. So the heads with the 2.02 intake are just J heads if the pushrod holes are in the sameplace as the heads with 1.88 intake? Are there alot of difference in preformance in the two heads? I would quess the ones with the larger intake would be the way to go?

Believe us.....LOL

both heads are basically the same except for the valve size...the heads with 2.02 will probably perform a little better at higher rpm because of the valve size...out side that ..they are the same...

the 2.02 valve can be installed in place of the 1.88 valve...

-
Back